GPXtoMaplet Question

JamesJM

I downloaded this utility and converted a GPX file.

Now when I try to open it a window pops up in Mapopolis saying I need the latest Map Viewer from Mapopolis to view this type of file. However, I have 3.27 and as far as I can tell that *IS* the latest version.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? - JamesJM

quote:
Originally posted by JamesJM:

I downloaded this utility and converted a GPX file.

Now when I try to open it a window pops up in Mapopolis saying I need the latest Map Viewer from Mapopolis to view this type of file. However, I have 3.27 and as far as I can tell that *IS* the latest version.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? - JamesJM

Actually version 4 is the latest version. I'm not sure, but perhaps the GPXtoMaplet utility only works with version 4.

I'm sure the folks at Mapopolis can tell you. They're great about answering questions quickly.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

"Never declare war on a man who buys his ink by the gallon."

Thanks Jolly and Trippy.

I had a bad feeling such would be the case - (the version 4).

I don't know if my maps will work with version 4....(that NB and NC thing), and have emailed Mapopolis Support to find out what can be done.

Funny, I just received the package, (on CD, I have dial-up and simply cannot download maps), you would have THOUGHT they would have sent the latest version and appropriate maps. - JamesJM

quote:

Thanks Jolly and Trippy.

I had a bad feeling such would be the case - (the version 4).

I don't know if my maps will work with version 4....(that NB and NC thing), and have emailed Mapopolis Support to find out what can be done.

Funny, I just received the package, (on CD, I have dial-up and simply cannot download maps), you would have THOUGHT they would have sent the latest version and appropriate maps. - JamesJM

Their support is top notch. I subscribed to the basic mapset (no GPS/routing) and then a week later decided I wanted to get full platinum mapsets. They worked with me to upgrade my subscription. They didn't really have to do that but they have a happy customer. icon_biggrin.gif

Jolly R. Blackburn

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

Their support is top notch. I subscribed to the basic mapset (no GPS/routing) and then a week later decided I wanted to get full platinum mapsets. They worked with me to upgrade my subscription. They didn't really have to do that but they have a happy customer. icon_biggrin.gif

Jolly R. Blackburn

No argument here. I emailed them late last night and this morning my reply was in the mail with a utility attachment that works with my version....3.27

wow, were all software companies such as Mapopolis huh? - JamesJM

quote:
Originally posted by ka3mgh:

Has anyone come up with a way to get all of caches in a mapfile to show up on the map screen?

Currenly I have only been able to get one to show up at time by using Maplet-Show Location-Picking a cache-Goto.

Thanks

Only one at a time? That's wierd.

I can see ALL my caches from my maplet at the same time. Seems to be by default.

I did have a corrupt maplet once which made Mapopolis act funky. have you tried making a new maplet and installing it?

Jolly R. Blackburn

Oh, one more thing.

This might be the more obvious problem if you're not fully familiar with Mapopolis.

Have you clicked on the little "+" symbol on the menu bar? The "+" and "-" symbols add/take away layers of detail from the map. Sounds like you may have the detail cranked down so that the maplet layer isn't turned on.

Jolly R. Blackburn

quote:
Originally posted by Jolly B Good:

Oh, one more thing.

This might be the more obvious problem if you're not fully familiar with Mapopolis.

Have you clicked on the little "+" symbol on the menu bar? The "+" and "-" symbols add/take away layers of detail from the map. Sounds like you may have the detail cranked down so that the maplet layer isn't turned on.

Jolly R. Blackburn

Yeah, I knew that Jolly.

I haven't been able to get this new utility they sent me to work, however. Most likely I'm doing something foolish, I'm good at that. - JamesJM

quote:

I haven't been able to get this new utility they sent me to work, however. Most likely I'm doing something foolish, I'm good at that. - JamesJM

Try this:

Go to "Tools -> Choose Map" and select your maplet. If you don't have it selected, the little icons won't show on the map, but locations will still show in the "Maplet -> Show Locations" and other "find" style lists.

This "keep it in the list regardless of whether it's selected" feature is actually a peeve of mine I was pondering a few minutes ago when I realized that it was more than likely your problem. (or something to take a stab at, anyway).

Let us know if it works. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

Try this:

Go to "Tools -> Choose Map" and select your maplet. If you don't have it selected, the little icons won't show on the map, but locations will still show in the "Maplet -> Show Locations" and other "find" style lists.

This "keep it in the list regardless of whether it's selected" feature is actually a peeve of mine I was pondering a few minutes ago when I realized that it was more than likely your problem. (or something to take a stab at, anyway).

Let us know if it works. icon_smile.gif

I should have explained more fully, my fault.

My current problem is creating the maplet itself with the utility. I can't create it so I have nothing to put on the PDA to try. - JamesJM

That is strange - the utility is basically a point and click application.

1)You select your input file.

2)The system creates the .mlp in the same directory as the application.

3)And then prompts you for the destination directory on your PDA.

Which one of these is not happening?

If it is #2, maybe your directory permissions are setup so that you have to be an admin to? Just a guess.

quote:
Originally posted by donbadabon:

That is strange - the utility is basically a point and click application.

1)You select your input file.

2)The system creates the .mlp in the same directory as the application.

3)And then prompts you for the destination directory on your PDA.

Which one of these is not happening?

If it is #2, maybe your directory permissions are setup so that you have to be an admin to? Just a guess.

#2 - The help file says you need:

"MapConverter requires Microsoft Windows and the Microsoft JVM. You may need to download it at http://www.microsoft.com/java/vm/dl_vm32.htm"

However, when you go to this page, or try to...you are redirected to a page saying MSoft no longer supports it.

Maybe this is the problem maybe not...I'm not sure of the exact name of the Microsoft JVM file to search for it. A search for dl_vm32.* comes up empty.

When I input the file for conversion and run it I get this message: "No map record: <?sml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="yes"?>

Whatever that means.

I may be upgrading to Version 4 with the CD mapset....hopefully that will solve the problems - Jimmy

quote:

When I input the file for conversion and run it I get this message: "No map record: <?sml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1" standalone="yes"?>

You're using Mapconverter and not GPX2Maplet. Mapconverter doesn't convert from a GPX file. Instead, you'd need to convert your GPX into something that mapconverter can handle, and then run it through mapconverter.

The quickest (and probably only) route to get this done is to get GPSBabel. Use GPSBabel to convert from GPX to "mapconverter" format. Then feed GPSBabel's output through the mapconverter program to create your mapconverter map. Then copy the mapconverter map to your PDA. If you're using a PocketPC, mapconverter will make a map with a ".pdb" extension. You'll need to change that to a ".mlp" extension in order for PocketPC Mapopolis to see it.

From a command line, the syntax is:

gpsbabel -i gpx -f yourfile.gpx -o mapconverter -F yourfile.txt

Using the "babelfront" gui should be self explanatory (input type GPX, input file, output type mapconverter, output file).

The simplest solution is probably to get Mapopolis Version 4 and use GPX2Maplet.

quote:
Originally posted by alexm:

You're using Mapconverter and not GPX2Maplet. Mapconverter doesn't convert from a GPX file. Instead, you'd need to convert your GPX into something that mapconverter can handle, and then run it through mapconverter.

Yeah, I knew I had to convert the file beforehand but I can't find any format that Mapconverter will accept....not even with Babel.

I haven't tried them all, however, so maybe I'll get lucky. - JamesJM

quote:

Yeah, I knew I had to convert the file beforehand but I can't find any format that Mapconverter will accept....not even with Babel.

I don't recall exactly when mapconverter was added to GPSBabel, but it's definitely in the latest beta release. You can download it directly by clicking one of the download links here. If you use "Babelfront", the windows GUI, it's in the list as "Mapopolis.com Mapconverter CSV". If you're doing the command line, it's as I entered it above.

mapconv.jpg

Talk about fun, eh?