MapSend WorldWide Basemap

K618

As far as I know, it's not yet available.

Rather, there have been some rumors around here that Magellan could be planning to release an updated MapSend Topo. WorldWide might be released in conjuction.

I know I'm very interested in WorldWide.. depending on the detail. I'm planning an foreign vacation this summer, and some basic maps in my GPS would be greatly helpful.

Jamie

I use a Platinum and bought the WWbasemap especially for covering countries outside Europe and the Topo lines.

I did have a first look and can tell my impressions comparing the Platinum Basemap for Europe and the World Wide base map.

-the Platinum base map has more streets (some smaller country roads, some smaller streets in cities) than the WorldWide map comparing same zoom levels without MapSend streets;

-the WorldWide map has more coverage of railways and railway stations.

-the WorldWide map has more rivers and lakes and these are shown more detailed; and of course the Topo lines with all the associated functions like terrain projection and horizontal profile.

-For regions not covered by the default basemap you get rather detailed coastlines, the main roads and the bigger cities, so this is about what is advertized; no navaid waypoints.

The databases (and therefore the search functions) are quite different:

-the Platinum base map has much more smaller towns and villages, and this affects the search function even with Mapsend Streets! A search with "nearest to Cities" or "nearest to Cursor" gives not nearly the same results; with the Wwmap you get 20 hits for bigger cities, some smaller cities are included by chance?

-on the other hand the WW map has extensive coverage of even very small railroad stations; the screen becomes cluttered with these

railway symbols in areas with good railway coverage (which is the case in most areas of central Europe); paradoxically you can find even very very small villages if they have a railroad station but not much larger places without!

For me the database of the MeriPlat map seems more practical and logical than the WW map.

-The CD is copy protected, you have to type in the serial number of your GPSR from the “about” screen, the generated maps with the extention .mgs are working only on this GPSR; you need not rename the regions; switching beween regions/default base map is w.o.problems.

So in my first opinion this WWmap is good for regions not covered by the default MeriPlat basemap or for getting a better Basemap into the MeriGreen, but at least for central europe you trade some drawbacks for the additional features (topo system);i think for central europe the additional features are not worth the money.

If the comparison gives similar results for the north american or australian base maps would be interesting.

I hope that answers some of your questions

ED

PS you can find some examples on this website

http://www.busse-yachtshop.de/

quote:
Originally posted by K618:

Has anyone tried this new product?

If so, can you comment on the accuracy of the basemap?