external Garmin antenna- any difference?

I purchased the external low profile garmin antenna for my MAP76, and I really have not noticed any improvement in accuracy. It does, however, take far less time to acquire the satellites. Has anyone had similar or better results?

FYI- my antenna is mounted outside the car, on the roof.

12199_1800.jpg

Keithpilot

The Yellow Dog Project

N43 10.00374

W070 54.87366

Accuracy (real accuracy) is something that is very hard to simply notice but simply having an unobstructed antenna is generally always going to be an improvement (of some sort) but dependent on a few other issues.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

Accuracy (real accuracy) is something that is very hard to simply notice but simply having an unobstructed antenna is generally always going to be an improvement (of some sort) but dependent on a few other issues.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Pote:

I've also created an 'antenna hat' with a small steel plate (made out of an Altoids can) velcroed to the top of the cap. I stick the antenna to the plate, run the cord down the back and put the cap on my head. Two advantages are that a.) I have reduced body shadow blocking reception and b.) I can stick the GPSr in my pocket and hike a little more normally.

Yep, hiking with and altoids can on your head with an antenna sticking out of it is normal, I guess. HEHEHE just kidding, whatever works.

15777_1900.gif

I got creative a while back and bought the handlebar mount for my GPSV. I mounted this about 5 feet up on a 6 foot walking stick.

Then I took the external attennae and mounted it on TOP of the stick. Works great. The unit is jut about at eye level as I'm walking. I love it.

WHen I get into some deep woods I can remove the unit from the stick and hold the stick up (getting the attennae about 12 to 13 feet off the ground).

Sure I look like a high-tech dork walking through the woods with it but it works.

I use a GA 27C Low profile GPS antenna with a Garmin 76. The antenna is pinned to the back of my collar facing the sky. I can report the signal strength is improved over-all and the signal is seldom lost even under a dense forest canopy. The recorded tracks are rarely broken.Under conditions that affect signal reception; the external antenna will improve accuracy by amplifing signals of minimal strength. When using the GPS on a boat where the sky and horizon is unobstructed, I don't think the external antenna is of much advantage.

[This message was edited by Geonavigator on April 23, 2002 at 01:55 PM.]