Mapping?

I am VERY new to gps/Geocaching, I learned about it this weekend. I went to Ecost and bought a Vista cheap + overnight charge. I have learned enough to try to find a cache tonight.

My question is this. How or with what software can I make maps? We have a ranch in South Texas I want to take the waypoints I will get and map the place. To the detail of locations/roads/boundaries with correct distances, scale, and orientation.

Any help is appreciated

Chance72

Molon Labe

quote:
Originally posted by Chance72:

My question is this. How or with what software can I make maps? We have a ranch in South Texas I want to take the waypoints I will get and map the place. To the detail of locations/roads/boundaries with correct distances, scale, and orientation.

Any help is appreciated

Chance72

Molon Labe

I have used several mapping software programs, I recommend ExpertGPS from Topografix because it is easy and it comes with the maps already formatted via the internet. You simply load your waypoints and tracks to the computer and then say get map. You can use topo maps or digital photo's. Go to http://www.topografix.com

19792_300.gif

quote:
Are you trying to get a map on your GPSr or on the computer?

On the computer. So I can make a hard copy.

BTW, JeepNAz, thanks for the link the other day onthe Garmin. It helped me pick the Vista

quote:
Check out Manifold Systems for a lot of mapping capability. Of course it comes with a price tag of around $250, so ExpertGPS or Ozi Explorer may be a better choice for you.

Thanks for the infomation, I don't think I need 250 bucks worth. I have just today found the ExpertGPS and have not figured out what each package does or whichone I need.

Molon Labe

As another option theres National Geographic TOPO! which will give you 1:24000 topo maps for all of Texas for about 100$

Not real good for city maps but I find them (at least here in Az) excellent. And you can do even more then what you are after now ( like elevation profiles) Wait ...does Texas even have different elevations??? J/K

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you're going, because you might not get there." Yogi Berra

jeepsmiliedesertcamo.gif

JeepNAz@aol.com