Garmin E-Trex Venture

howdy RaiderXJ

I've got the Venture and I've been extremely happy with it. Bought it (as my first GPS) two days after I learned about Geocaching icon_wink.gif.

Unfortunately, if you're looking for a unit with map display capabilities (actually displaying a map of roads/topo/water etc, on the GPS) then the Venture is not the unit you're looking for. It comes loaded with a fairly extensive collection of City Points but there isn't enough memory for loading up street maps or the likes. You'd have to move up the Legend (8MB) or the Vista (24MB) to get a base map.

I've been thinking of upgrading to the Vista since I've been using the GPS more and more in the car lately.

FINALLY!!! Something useful I can do with that Geography degree. :-D

Don't buy it...

I'm not knocking the unit, I have owned one and I loved it, but for not for $129. Someone posted earlier that Amazon has the Legend listed for $149, go with the Legend at the very least. The extra few bucks gets you more than a measly 1mb of memory, it allows street level maps and 1K waypoints to be uploaded. The Venture on the other hand can only accept 1mb of POI's (which is useless 99% of the time) and 500 waypoints.

Aside from that, they are identical aside from their colors, so spend the extra $20 or $30 and get yourself a GPS with a little more versatility.

Kar

I had a venture before my Legend (which is still on its way) and I liked it up until I found a problem with it. Most likely just a problem on my particular GPS unit, but the internal circuit board was loose and I could feel it every time I pushed a button on the side of the unit.

So anyway, I returned it, hassle-free (thank you amazon.com) and got a Legend for only $30 more.

The added americas highway basemap and increased memory is well worth the extra money. Spend a little bit more and get the Legend if you can.

Using Opera 7.1