Looking for a handheld GPS receiver with laptop interface

atolk

Meaning not that it will accept maps and other data from the software loaded on the laptop, but that it will feed the coordinates into the GPS-enabled street map software.

I first heard of GPS several years ago from a friend, a computer enthusiast, who bought a GPS device for his laptop and drove around with his laptop, okay the program he installed - no idea which one, - telling him when to turn and where to go. Sort of like OnStar for 1/5 the price and much more flexibility and upgradeablility. I thought it was pretty neat but hardly worth the investment.

Now I learn about GeoCaching and I am really excited about getting into it. I found one cache using a friend's eTrak, the kind you can buy for $99 from Amazon.com, free shipping. I would be tempted to buy one for myself, but first I wanted to make sure that I am not overlooking a possibility of getting something more. A device that could be hand held, for GeoCaching, but also plugged into the laptop in the car, turning it into my personal OnStar.

Since geocaching is primary motive and driving navigation is a "nice to have", and since I already found a $99 solution to the former, I would not be willing to pay more than $200 for a unit that does both. Am I dreaming?

Both OziExplorer and TOPO! will mark your current position on a map and follow as you move. With Ozi, you supply the map. With TOPO! you supply the $$ icon_smile.gif

I think all GPSrs have the ability to output NMEA.

So... plug one end of the interface cable into your GPSr, the other end into your PC, fire up TOPO or Ozi and select the "automatic tracking".

Nothing to it...

Both OziExplorer and TOPO! will mark your current position on a map and follow as you move. With Ozi, you supply the map. With TOPO! you supply the $$ icon_smile.gif

I think all GPSrs have the ability to output NMEA.

So... plug one end of the interface cable into your GPSr, the other end into your PC, fire up TOPO or Ozi and select the "automatic tracking".

Nothing to it...

Do you mean, it is such basic functionality that manufacturer/retailer sites don't even consider it necessary to list it?

Ok, let's take my prospective 100-dollar eTrex. Will it <*checking the lingo*> output NMEA to my laptop? And what is NMEA?

What are OziExplorer and TOPO? Software?

I was planning on a freebie, such as MS Streets & Trips. If I am not willing to spend $$ on a GPS receiver, I am even less likely to want to pay for software.

Ok, let me rephrase the question. Would eTrex and MS Streets & Trips do me any good as far as driving navigation? And if not, what is my minimum required configuration?

Thanks in advance.

P.S. Having read through several threads, I am beginning to realize that using a laptop for navigation is old news. Apparently, many GPS receivers will display maps, your progress on them, and beep before turns. This does seem like a good solution (more compact, sturdy, better battery life, etc.)

What is the best value in mapping GPS receivers (taking into account the cost of software to download the maps)?

Please don't kick me for asking stupid questions. Most people here are way into GPS and prefer to spend $$ to get what they really need. Me, I am just trying to get into GPS. I got excited about geocaching, but I want to justify the investment, no matter how small, from the navigation standpoint.

OziExplore is a great piece of shareware that allows you to input a scanned map and then register the corners with actual coordinates. A web-search on OziExplorer will tell you more than I ever could.

Your eTrex will out put a standard set of "sentances" that allow OziExplore to know where you are. The format for these sentances in NMEA. It is selected from the "setup" -> "interface" menue.

As an example... I scanned in a copy of the Hertz (as in rent-a-car) map for Houston. I then found a couple of coordinates for the corners using MapQuest and registered that map based on those corners. This is not "registered" as in how you pay for software, but "registered" as in telling OziExplore where the corners of the map are in the real world. I pulged in the old eTrex, turned on tracking and had an very high resolution "moving map" on my laptop as I drove around (and around, and around) the fine town of Houston.

Does this help?

This combination works great for us. Spendy on the NG maps but we think well worth it for the details and ease of use. Import waypoints to NG or GPSr and upload to the other. Live tracking, lots of "hidden" detail information we have not been able to find on half a dozen other mapping programs, and if you have a big enough hard drive, you can upload all the cd's for the state or region and have seamless scrolling ( Mr. Scott, I need more power!!!). Tried MS S&T 2001 and have had nothing but trouble and just dumped it back out

I use the basic etrex with a laptop using Microsoft Streets and trips. The yellow etrex does output to the laptop for real time tracking on the map. It works great, but if you get the MS Streets and Trips be sure to use the 'patch' available on the internet that changes the 15 second location update to 2 seconds. I use it and it works like a charm.

NMEA is just an output protocol for the GPS.

Chip