armband case for gps

Guest leemannn

Guest MNMartian

I just picked up 2 of these armband holders

the other day. Got 2 in case I get frs radios(next toys on the list). Haven't gotten a chance to try out the armbands in the woods yet though. I tried my cell phone in it, it might fall out but I think you could twist or make some attachment on the shockcord so that it wouldn't. My Mag 315 seems to fit in there nicely. It's better then carrying it in your hand all the time.

Oh, I had to call 3 stores in my area before I found one that had them in stock.

Guest gstrong1

MNMartian.We can get a pretty good idea of the appearance of the armband from the pic in the radio shack flyer.Could you throw in here some dimensions for the pouch itself so we can get a pretty good idea of what GPS units might fit?Thanks icon_biggrin.gif.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest MNMartian

When the pouch is flat it's just shy of 3 inches wide. It's 4 1/2 inches tall with slits on the sides down from the top 1 1/2 inches. Since the pouch diamensions are for when it's flat, when you put something like a GPS in it, the sides come in a bit to allow for the thickness of the GPS. My mag315 is 2 inches wide by a little over 1 1/4 thick and slides in and out with no problem. The shock cord holds it in nicely.

I don't know the size of your GPS, but would be willing to find something of similar size around my house(piece of wood or something) to try it out for you!

Hope this helps you!

Guest gstrong1

Thanks MN. Sounds great. I'll be heading to Radio Shack to try & pick a couple up. Those dimensions appear to be good for my MAP76 & my III Plus.I've been doing some extensive comparison testing on my MAP, my III Plus & my eTrex Vista.These will really come in handy.If I can find them, I'll come back later & describe the fit for the MAP & Plus.Thank You. icon_biggrin.gif.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest MNMartian

You're Welcome!

I bet if you took your GPS with you into the store they'd let you try it out.

They are packaged so that you can remove the pouch and replace it without damaging the packaging.

Guest gstrong1

Hi MN. Went to 2 different local Radio Shacks & the associates employed there had no clue what I was talking about.So I ordered 2 from the web site.At $4.99/pc. & $2.50 for shipping,they're a bargain & I'd probably spend that much in gas driving around to other RS stores.I'm sure,by the measurements you passed along, that the MAP76 & the III Plus will nicely fit in them.It will be great to stow a unit on each arm as I hike through the woods, that position allowing the units to maintain satellite fix.I'll come back after I take receipt of them & let you know how I make out.Thanks for your assistance. icon_biggrin.gif.-Gimpy-

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest k2dave

anyone out there that can confirm that a iii+ will fit in one of those?

What about some actual use - does it hold it's lock in there? Does your arm get sweaty w/ the neoprene band?

Guest k2dave

I have used the frs radios for quite sometime. I have the motorola talkabouts (diffrent models). I think they work pretty well. I use them a lot skiing and as long as you are not on the other side of the mountain you should have no problem. The topography of the area makes a huge diffrence. They are great for groups of diffrent ability.

I know some brands (particularly smaller units) are just not as good - most likely due to the antenna (but I know you said you do have some motorola product) . The talkabouts have a big antenna - it the old tradeoff a nice compact unit that works sometimes or a big @$$ unit that works almost all the time (within it's range) - or maybe you are just more demanding on them.

Guest MNMartian

K2Dave, I wore my armband around the yard for about 20 minutes, over my t-shirt sleeve.

Here were the results:

Arm & t-shirt sleeve were slightly damp when I took the armband off. It's been very hot here lately, so temp could play a big role here. (and how much you perspire)

Also, if you've ever worn a neoprene brace of any sort, when you take it off it's usually wet/damp underneath.

My Mag315 got very good lock while I was walking around the yard(not much tree coverage)up to 7 sats consistantly.

Hope that helps answer your questions. icon_smile.gif

Guest leemannn

I think its a good deal for 5 bucks need to go back and get another one for frs nice looking too. It will make your arm sweat tho oh well... All smile and have a

nice day 73's AC7KT Lee.

Guest makaio

I gave the armband a field test tonight as well. Took my daughter and the dog on a 2 mile walk. Kept the flap up covering the eTrex completely the entire time except for the occasional check to verify I still had lock. sky coverage was optimal for most of the walk. Weather was mostly cloudy, although these weren't rain clouds, so moisture content was probably low. The eTrex never lost locks on any of the 6 sats it obtained when turned on. I'm very happy with this device.

Guest gstrong1

Headed out yesterday to place 1 cache & find 2 others.I put a new set of batteries in my eTrex Vista & put it in this armband & never looked at the Vista till I got home.About 5 hrs. on trails & woods & around 90 miles in the car.Had my III Plus & MAP76 along for the hunts. Had the external antenna connected to the MAP76.When I got home, I downloaded the tracks from each unit to Mapsource maps.Tracks showed the Mapsource maps to be very accurate(tracks were all right on the roads I travelled)& the Vista apparently never lost sats.I would have thought that with the Vista being positioned a little more vertical than horizontal while in the armband, that it would have intermittently lost signal, especially while in the car.Had all 3 units on 100% of the time & all 3 tracks were identical.I'm impressed.I bought 2 of the armbands & at $5.00 pc. & in my opinion, they are great.The flap covers the patch antenna on the Vista, but apparently has no effect.MAP76 & III Plus fit in the bands pretty snug, but will stay put.I like em'.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest jstead

These sound great, having tried to improvise before. But does anyone know if there are any stockists in the UK - Radio Shack lines used to be marketed by Tandy but our local store closed some time ago?

------------------

John Stead

Guest prv8eye

quote:
Originally posted by leemannn:

Letting every one know that

Radio Shack has the armband

case for frs that works well

for gps on sale icon_biggrin.gif

Not much of a sale if you buy it on there web site. After you pay the $2.50 for shipping you've saved 50 cents off the regular store price.

Guest HomeChicken

I also picked one up at a oversided Radio Shack. The eTrex legend fits like it was made for it. Also walked around the street with the flap over it and never lost a loc. when I get home I will take a picture and upload it with this post since I think this is a cool item. And if I don't like it later hey it was only $5

eTrexarmband.jpg

------------------

Bought a eTrex Legend on 7/24/01

placed one cache Here

--HomeChicken

[This message has been edited by HomeChicken (edited 13 August 2001).]

Guest Pete Holden

nnn:

Letting every one know that

Radio Shack has the armband

case for frs that works well

for gps on sale icon_biggrin.gif

Bought one today for about $4.50. BUT, I think they're discontinuing them... Better hurry.