etrex navigation

i am very new to geocaching (found our first one on sat.). i am currently "borrowing" a lowrance unit that is about 2 years old. i want to buy an etrex. can you track your current position and have it update in realtime? or can you only navigate with the map and the arrow? and are they really as user friendly as everyone says they are? remember, i am VERY new to geocaching so please bear with me.

I use the yellow etrex and it does to real time tracking. Since it has an internal antenna it sometimes gets a little flaky under heavy tree cover, but it's not anything too bad. I love it and to me it's very easy to use.

You may want to go to www.garmin.com and download the users manual and give it a read. They are in PDF format and free for download.

Chip

I started with the eTrex and had no complaints, except that it didn't have the base maps. I have since upgraded to an eMap so that I could have the maps, but the eTrex was a delight to use!

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

I started with the eTrex and had no complaints, except that it didn't have the base maps. I have since upgraded to an eMap so that I could have the maps, but the eTrex was a delight to use!

icon_eek.gif Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son!

The eTrex units update almost any applicable information as you move. Even the sun and moon page is updated, if you move far enough, so that the sunrise and/or sunset is affected by your new position.

If you view your position coordinates, the map page, the compass or even look at a stored waypoint, you'll notice that information that's related to your position (like the distance to the waypoint) changes as you move around. At least it does with the Vista.

Anders