Is this possible?

quote:
Originally posted by Insp Gadget:

I wonder if this is possible. I have Microsoft Streets and Trips loaded on my computer and am wondering if there's a way of planning a trip on this and downloading all the waypoints to my GPS unit?

Yes. Just check the help file for "GPS".

3608_2800.gif

"Don't mess with a geocacher. We know all the best places to hide a body."

I checked the help file for GPS as suggested but can't find any reference or information on downloading the actual trip into my GPS unit. I do understand that I can have the GPS connected to a laptop computer and watch my progress on the computer screen, but I want to download the information to the GPS and not use a laptop computer at all on the road.

I don't think so. I use S&T (2001) a lot and it doesn't export in any format known to any GPS nor does it communicate in anything other then NMEA (which it only 'listens' to). It only Saves As other S&T maps and web pages.

You could make the route and manually create pushpins for every turn, but you couldn't automatically export them, just manually enter them.

Maybe if you SaveAs a web page and save that to your Palm using Plucker or similar you could see the map.

S&T does include a reader for Windoze CE, so that would get you more portable if you have a PocketPC. I haven't used it and it may or may not include the routes it creates into the pocket maps.

Garmin MapSource does make & save routes and waypoints that can be uploaded into a Garmin GPS but doesn't do autorouting. Other manufacturers probably do as well but I'm not familiar with them.

Park2