What are your Meridian settings?

embra

Stutzismydog asked me (so you can blame him) to post my Meridian settings. I think the idea is that it might give new Meridian owners a starting point for settings that a typical cacher might like. I would also be interested in any variations (and reasoning for the difference) from my setup. I also thought I could post here some other suggestions for getting going.

1. This is not exactly the first thing to do, but onnce I have a good sense of what settings I like, I write them down. That way if you have to reset them (e.g., after a firmware upgrade), you don't have to rediscover them from scratch.

2. Bearing in mind that these are personal preferences (though based on my experience), I like these settings (with a few comments sprinkled in):

Setup Menu

Nav Screens (as desired) - I like the Sat Status, Compass (I have the Platinum with the electronic compass), Position, & Road screens on. Map screen is not optional, it appears. I turn off the large data, data, and speed screens for caching--though I may have them on for biking or some other activity. Otherwise they're extra screens to skip through.

North reference (true)

Power Off timer (Position 10 minutes) - this so if I forget to turn it off on my desk, it doesn't stay on until the batteries run down.

Light Timer (2 minutes)

Beeper (alarms only)

Baud rate (9600) - Robert Lipe had argued persuasively that higher baud settings don't make data transfers any faster; just less reliable.

Compass calibrate (do it)

Power key (on/off protected) - prevents accidental power downs.

Alarms/Msg

Arrival 500 ft.

Position screen data fields

EPE

Distance

Road screen data fields

COG - other directional-related fields than this use the electronic compass and draw more power

Distance

EPE

ETE

Map screen

Distance (as data field)

Speed (as data field)

Course up

Highest detail

Display options as desired - I take Departure-Destination line off and toggle on Postion-Destination

Compass screen data fields

EPE

Distance

3. Some other modifications/sources of information:

a. A good modifcation to the MapSend export.cfg file that improves the map display can be found here.

b. A great FAQ on the Meridian is available in the files section of the Yahoo Meridian Users group. You have to sign up to get access, but this and other useful links, applets and information related to Meridians are there. The group itself is a great source of information, although there's a lot of traffic...I always compare it to drinking water from a fire hose.

I'd love to hear of other's preferences that may contrast with these...or other newbie tips.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

[This message was edited by embra on August 04, 2003 at 05:07 AM.]