Magellan 2000

I have a Magellan 2000 and yes I know it is antique, but have had it just about that long.

I have never really got the swing of the GPS. I think I fully understand how they operate but still seem lost when trying to use it.

I have a friend that is wanting to get me into Geocashing and I think this might be what I need to figure out how to use a GPS.

Ok is there anything wrong with this certain unit as to why I couldn't use it in this hobbie? I am sure when I get started I will have a lot more questions but for now I guess I am looking for just some real good input on the 2000. Bad or good let me have it all!

Thanks

Ghost Town Gambler

Casper WY

I found one of these that was left behind in a building move. There was a yellow sticky that said it didn't work. I had to leave it on for two sets of batteries and it appears to be working. I haven't had time to play with it much and it's sooooooo slooooooow compared to my III+ or V. I got about the same enthusiastic response you did when I posted my 2000 question(s). icon_rolleyes.gif

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I bought a Magellan 2000, about the end of 95 as I recall. It was a good unit, fairly rugged, had a nice type of plastic over the display that seemed to take quite a beating without harm.

They were 2 channel receivers, that had to sequentially look at each sat. What this means to the user is that it takes quite a bit longer to get a lock, 2 to 5 minutes a least as I recall. It also had more trouble maintaining a lock. The navigation screens were pretty good, and it provided all the necessary information. About the only other bad thing I remember about it is that you had to keep good batteries in it or you would loose all your waypoints etc.

My advice would be get out there and play with it, see if it fits your needs.

The manuall is out on the www.magellengps.com site. It states that it is a 12 channel reciever. So lock should not be too slow or that much of a problem. I have heard in the past that the 2000 did come out first as a 2 channel,,,,but have never seen evidence to that.

Slight slower lock times could be to the slower older processors in these units, but should not be awful. The bigest drawback to geocaching is that the unit only goes to 2 decimals in the standard hours min digital minutes that is used at Geocaching.com. Some have said converting to UTM or metric will allow the unit to show greater resolution. But even if you use the standard setup, you'll just have to search in about a 50' square, instead of a much smaller area, when trying to track down that cache.

The 2000XL was 12 channel, but the original 2000 wasn't. They refered to the unit as ALLview technology, which meant it could use up to 12 satellites for computing position, but it was only a 2 channel sequential receiver. Garmins at that time were single channel tracking only 8 sats as I recall.

We've come a long way since then.....

Yes, I too own a Magellan 2000 XL. I have been for the most part pretty satisfied with the unit and the battery life has served me well.

My question to you all is I too am getting hooked on geocaching, but for the life of me I can't find anyway to have unit go any lower than .01 of a mile. Is it true that this dinosaur will not show me "how many feet" I am within my desired destination. It does get me within the general area of a cache, but from there it is a lot of searchin...

My next purchase will be a Meridian Color or Platinum!

Greetings, fellow GPS 2000 series users!

I have been using my GPS2000XL for almost 6 years now, and it still works great! It is very slow to get a fix (around 5 mins for cold!) and it always has trouble with the lock when you are under trees (one time i had to climb on top of a tree to get a lock when i was caching inside a forest!) and it may be too big and heavy for some. I love this unit, it's very tough, it survived numerous drops, it's water tight (i use it in the rain all the time) and the batteries last forever (tho it has to use 4 AAs). The resolution isn't as clear as the new models, it will only go down to 0.01miles, so caching with it will be a little more challenging/fun. (even tho there were quite a few times it led me right on top of the caches, amazing) icon_eek.gif