Need help w/ EasyGPS for Lowrance iFinder

Maybe someone has run across a similar problem here. First, I've been able to verify the serial connection from my PC to GPS using a hyperterminal connection to COM1 -- wasn't even using EasyGPS so I know I can at least talk to the GPS. When I go to download a waypoint to the GPS using EasyGPS, it bombs out and says I've got a problem with the serial connection, GPS isn't sending data, etc. Does my GPS have to be in a data receive/send mode to download data from EasyGPS? If I'm lucky enough to have an iFinder owner read this, can you tell me if I need an MMC card in the unit in order to download waypoints? Maybe someday I can get through on the Lowrance help line, but for now this is probably quicker. Thanks.

PS... when I click the download option on EasyGPS and specify it's an iFinder, the "OK" button to download on the dialog box is grayed out, i.e. not active. It's as if the program doesn't even allow downloads to that unit, although it is an option when selecting the GPS in the first place.

From a previous thread:

quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by RamJetta:

2) Can waypoints and track logs be imported to ExpertGPS via the MMC? Can it be done using the serial cable?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can only transfer data using the MMC. You pull out the batteries, and remove the MMC card. The MMC card goes in a card reader, and shows up as a hard drive on your computer. You then modify the .USR files using the Import and Export commands in ExpertGPS. You can only have 1000 waypoints loaded in the iFinder at any time, even though a 64MB MMC card could hold millions. What you can do, though, is create a bunch of .USR files, each with 1000 waypoints on them. (Like, all the caches in each state). When you enter a new state, just load in the new batch of waypoints from the MMC card - no need for a computer.

The serial cable is for NMEA output only. If you've got a laptop, you can use the serial cable with the Tracking feature in ExpertGPS.

--

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com/