Something is wrong

Guest tak1

If new batteries don't do it then backup all you waypoints and do a system reset. I read a post on the newsgroup about a similar problem and a hard reset fixed it. I am not sure how to do that on that paticular unit but you should be able to hunt that up out there on the internet. You will lose all your waypoint and such so backup before you try this.

mcb

Guest ClayJar

You could try going through the initialization again (where you tell it the time and your location). I can't remember off-hand where in the setup it is, but you can't miss it. (And if you need the hard reset code, I can take a look and see if I can come up with it. It's a 3-key combo, and I just read it in news:sci.geo.satellite-nav the other day, not to mention don't I see it whenever I'm uploading maps?)

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by tak1:

I'm betting this is a Garmin guy.

L:K

Whanna see my Garmin Tattoo? icon_biggrin.gif Just kidding ... but ya got to admit ... that's funny ... no matter what GPS you've got ... sounds like something I'd do.

[This message has been edited by Hawk-eye (edited 03 October 2001).]

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:

I'm betting this is a Garmin guy.

Whanna see my Garmin Tattoo? icon_biggrin.gif Just kidding ... but ya got to admit ... that's funny ... no matter what GPS you've got ... sounds like something I'd do.

[This message has been edited by Hawk-eye (edited 03 October 2001).]

OK. I took the batteries out, put them back in, and now the satellite screen says "NO POS". Then I re-init, and the sat screen is just blank. Is it time to send it to Magellan.

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

tak1,

Is the sat screen displayed, just no satellites? Or is the entire screen blank as if it wasn't even turned on?...

.....If the display is there, just no satellites....

Just a thought... www.spaceweather.com

The unit turns on, the display is there, it just isn't showing any sats. Although for about 2 seconds I did pick up one sat.

Guest ClayJar

The hard reset for the MAP 330 (which I believe is the same throughout the 300-series Maggies), is: ESC-GOTO-Power. Feel free to try that. Obviously, I'd backup my waypoints and such before trying it.

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:

The unit turns on, the display is there, it just isn't showing any sats. Although for about 2 seconds I did pick up one sat.

You should have said that in the first place, instead of saying "The satelite [sic] screen was blank. Totally blank. Nothing." That would indicate a pretty bad hardware problem. But if you're just not getting any satellites, you may have lost the Almanac Data (or more likely, your GPS decided it was too out-of-date to be useful, and discarded it). Check your manual for the steps necessary to initiate an Almanac Data retrieval.

Guest ClayJar

If you leave the unit alone with good sky and fresh batteries for about 15 minutes, everything should be fully downloaded. (If you want to be absolutely sure you're starting fresh, do the three-button-salute first, I guess.)

Incidentally, I understood the question from the beginning... I guess I've been doing tech support (on and off) for too long.

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

The hard reset for the MAP 330 (which I believe is the same throughout the 300-series Maggies), is: ESC-GOTO-Power. Feel free to try that. Obviously, I'd backup my waypoints and such before trying it.

I would but the 315 has not esc key.

Guest ClayJar

Okay, can you tell I've never had one? icon_wink.gif

I did some searching, and from what I've found, the reset maneuver on the GPS 315 is NAV+Light+GOTO. I can't see if that's actually it, but it's from a guy posting about a problem with his 315, so I'd say it should be correct.

(Oh, and sorry for not checking my data before suggesting the wrong thing... Can you believe that I, ClayJar, made such a mistake? I'm so ashamed. icon_wink.gif)

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 04 October 2001).]

Guest ClayJar

Okay, can you tell I've never had one? icon_wink.gif

I did some searching, and from what I've found, the reset maneuver on the GPS 315 is NAV+Light+GOTO. I can't see if that's actually it, but it's from a guy posting about a problem with his 315, so I'd say it should be correct.

(Oh, and sorry for not checking my data before suggesting the wrong thing... Can you believe that I, ClayJar, made such a mistake? I'm so ashamed. icon_wink.gif)

[This message has been edited by ClayJar (edited 04 October 2001).]

Guest JerryB

quote:

OK. I took the batteries out, put them back in, and now the satellite screen says "NO POS". Then I re-init, and the sat screen is just blank. Is it time to send it to Magellan.

I disagree with the display. Maybe it should read, "IS POS"

(sorry. I couldn't resist icon_biggrin.gif )

[back to lurking now]

Guest JerryB

quote:

I disagree with the display. Maybe it should read, "IS POS"

(sorry. I couldn't resist icon_biggrin.gif )

[back to lurking now]