Externnal GPS Antenna Mounted on a Headset?

Guest Anton

Guest Anton

Greetings,

I've seen a photo on a webpage somewhere that looks like someone mounted an external GPS antenna on a headset (headphones). The idea seems to be to use the external antenna to improve signal reception while you're walking around - you don't have to worry about holding the GPS in a good position.

So, is anyone here using this arrangement? If so, please tell us the details about how you put it together, and your experiences with it. This is a great idea. I would like some advice on constructing my own: best headset to use, construction pointers, and so on. Thanks.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210

Guest Quinnow

I have an external for my garmin III plus.

What I did was went to a radio shop near here (two way radio shop) and bought a clip that would be used to mount a microphone to a collar, kind of like what cops use. All I did was fixed it so I could mount the ant to it and it works great. though the headset idea is great also. let me know how it works out for you if you try it!...by the way, I see you are from syracuse, I go there about 4 times a week for business. I haven't seen any caches in your area yet and I was going to hide one in your area. contact me and maybe I can get some ideas of local parks around you. I am from Rochester area and have listed a couple very nice caches here. Nice to see another upstate NY boy around!

Quinn. navicach@rochester.rr.com

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 03-10-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Quinnow (edited 03-10-2001).]

Guest Cape Cod Cache

I have a GPS 48 with an external antenna, I chose this model for moving boats because it has a database of Navaids (bouys). I have an extention with a suction cup at one end for boats with a hard top or for my car. I seem to remember a post about someone that used that setup on a bike helmet, my handle-bar mount fine though. as far as walking around, just keep the antenna in a good orientation (straight up).

my $0.02

Guest Quinnow

Anton...that is the same one I have. It can be used for several things with a bit of a mod. I made a clip bracket for mine so that I could just clip it to my collar or back pack. its also used for cars, or even what you had in mind. good luck with it!

Guest Anton

Yup...

I already have a Garmin external GPS antenna. It sits on the dash in my truck with the Garmin GPS-12MAP in a dashboard swivel mount, with a power cable going to the cigarette lighter socket. The external antenna is then in a better position to read the sky, and I can keep the GPS sitting almost straight up and readable.

Guess all I need to do is go look for a cheap headset, and mount an antenna on it. If it really improves reception, especially under foliage, I'll buy another external antenna. We'll keep one in the truck, and one on the headset.

Anton

------------------

Anton Ninno, N2RUD

Syracuse, NY 13210