My Garmin Experience

Greetings wanderers.

I told you earlier that I would tell you how my experience in getting my eTrex legend repaired went.

The problem was that I was getting lines horizontally across the screen. It still works, but the lines were annoying.

I went to their site and filled out the on-line form. The next day, I received a response that my unit had to go back for repairs and it gave me instructions. No problem, I shipped it out on a Monday, UPS ground.

They promised two weeks or so, but I got it back 10 days later with a ner display and a new front cover, replaced for "cosmetic reasons" according to the work order. I had engraved my name across it which the tech obviously didn't like.

Note that their website says that the warranty doesn't cover units sold at on-line auctions. I bought mine new, in the pqackage on ebay. I don't know if I sent in the warranty card, but they took care of me anyway.

It goes on.

A couple of months later, the unit started shutting down with just a slight tap onb the upper case. I sprung the battery springs and changed the batteries to no avail.

Note that this unit gets a lot of use, nearly every weekend and sometimes during the week. I may have dropped it a few times and broke a solder joint or somethng inside so don't automatically assume that the unit is of poor quality.

So I send in another request for service on their web site. The next day, they e-mail back that I need to call them. Uh-Oh, this doesn't look good. So I call.

the reason that they wanted me to call was because this is a second warranty service, I qualify for their extra-super-special-deluxe service. They gave me a special code and told me to send in the unit in fedEx overnight. Honestly, I sent it in on Tuesday morning and I had it back in my fat little fingers on Wednesday Evening! It had a new back cover this time and probably new guts and my database was completely intact (though I did back it up beforehand) Incredible!

So as you see, it went very well.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

I bought my sixth Garmin unit, a GPSmap 162, on May 1, 2003 through Bass Pro Shops. I updated the software to 3.20 and downloaded BlueChart and Fishing Hotspots maps then installed they unit on my boat and May 9th. I used it on the morning of May 10th for about 7 hours. Turned it off and tried to use it later that afternoon and it wouldn't turn on. I ship it out to Garmin on May 12th and Garmin received it on May 15th.

I'll let you guys and girls know the rest of the story once it's written.

Dittos on Garmin service. I sent in my Venture because the battery cover was loose and I was worried it would leak easily. They replaced the cover and in the process replaced the front cover which was marked up and scratched. They also sent me a free replacement manual since I had lost the original. All free gratus and got it back 4 working days after the day they received it from me.

Same here.

My GPSMAP 76S stopped locking onto satelites.

Gave them a call, get directions, shipped it to them and had it back in my hands in about a week.

No hassle, no questions, even forgot to send a copy of my receipt.

I would buy another Garmin in a heartbeat.

Bobby