GPS for a family

sirtomas

We've been borrowing my father-in-law's magellelan 315. It works well but twice now I've been denied the prize by what I call flutter.

The unit will show me next to my prize, then away from it, then further away from it, and then closer. It's annoying.

I need a unit, at a good price. Prefrebably used becuase I cannot justify spending huge amount of money.

I'm thinking maybe in the $0-150 range.

Any suggestions? I'm new to this and to this gear so any help would be nice.

e-mail me if you wish at: romeo_smurf@yahoo.com

Your(/any) GPSr is going to flutter/wave around. As different satelites are received, reflections from building, trees, etc, etc. If you sit still or set it down this will 'quite' to a tolerable minimum-such as when you are fixing the point for a geocache. I've got (my wife has) a simple little Etrex, a Legend, and a Map76S. They all flutter-even jump every now and then as far as 1500 miles! As you approach your destination, slow down. Maybe even stop/pause every 25 feet or so during the final approach. Your GPSr should similarly slow to a minimum flutter.

While I would tend to side with the advice to get an Etrex if your needs are very basic, I would more strongly urge you to get a unit with 'mapping' capabilities if your needs are anything but VERY basic.

My suggestion is to use rechargeable batteries and leave the unit on during your trip. The longer it runs, the less bouncing around it does. The biggest "bounce" is in the first 5 minutes after power up while it's still working out details about where it is. With rechargeable batteries, you don't really care too much about eating them up so you leave it on longer.

Depending on your surrounding, some bounce is inevitable. Trees can create big problems. Getting a unit that allows you to attach an external antenna might be worth looking into.

So, like with the etrex legend and the patch cable can I edit my own maps and upload/download them?

I see that one comes with some CD and lakes and fishing hotspots but can I make my own maps?

that looks good for a $150. And with CHristmas coming the prices should flutter down a little.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'making your own maps'. The CD/software you mention IS a map and you can put waypoints, tracks, and routes on it, then save that info in a file. That seems pretty standard as far as commercial GPS compatible mapping/map software goes. I've got the basemap that comes with the unit, the marine POI that replaces what the factory loaded and the users copies over if they use another Mapsource product (Garmin), Roads and Rec, old and new Metrosources, and the US Topo maps to put in my Legend/76S. I've got or have access to My stae and surrounding states National Geographic Topo map software and that can take points, tracks, and routes; but CANNOT be loaded into the GPS. There are (I think) some reasonably priced sharewares that purport to take a photo or other online 'map' resource and then create a GPSr loadable map, but I'm cheap and haven't done more than try demos on the PC. The newest Metrosource is a real kick; the National Geographic Topos are awesome!

A big second to the rechargeable Batts; I'd get(got) the metal hydride types in 2100milli-amp hour versions.

quote:
Originally posted by Tom and Eryn:

I saw those. It looks groovy. But will it do wave around like the magellan 315 did?

I had it in map mode and it kept moving me different distances from the site.

is this an error with the machine or the user?

I'll just add my vote that ALL units do that at times. One thing that comes to mind is the possibility of the unit being in some sort of "battery saver" mode? I'm not familiar with the unit you were using, but I have read others talk about a mode where their GPS only samples the signals once in a long time as opposed to say once a second. Any chance your magellan has that mode and was in it?

By the way, "If all else fails, read the directions. BUT, push every button you can before going to such drastic measures!" Reading the manual can be soooo boaring.

Gary

Drop back 10 and ........trip over the cache.

quote:
Originally posted by Tom and Eryn:

We've been borrowing my father-in-law's magellelan 315. It works well but twice now I've been denied the prize by what I call flutter.

I need a unit, at a good price. Prefrebably used becuase I cannot justify spending huge amount of money.

Couple of things here. As you gain more experience using the Magellan, you may learn it's querks. Each unit seems to have it's own mind at times. I have learned using mine that when I get to a difficult find, I need to just set the GPS down and leave it alone for up to 15 minutes. I'll then go back and see what direction and distance the cache is away from me. I have been impatient before and walked in circles for quite a while chasing the "x" on the map page before I learned to do that.

As far as a unit to buy. You may want to try and "hook up" with fellow Cachers in your area to see their units and how they work. Each one has it's own little claim to fame. By seeing a unit in action, you can see whether you like it or not. Every GPS can be used for caching, but some that have a few more bells and whistles can make it easier and sometimes more enjoyable. After seeing other units, you may decide it may worth the wait to save a little money and buy one that has some other feature that you really like.

I'm still using a 1997 Garmin II+ that has no basemap built in. I am starting to look at units that have the capability of topo maps and streets. I have over 300 finds using mine. Now, my problem is that the caches are getting farther from my home territory, so a map built in to tell me how to get to new ones would be nice.

Gotta add one more thing. Geocaching is VERY ADDICTIVE!!!! Don't think you will buy a GPS, find a couple of caches, and then just put your GPS in the closet. Doesn't work that way. Ha ha ha!

Gary

Drop back 10 and ........trip over the cache.