"Running" or "Spinning" coordinates

enfanta

Was out today in a spot that typically has poor reception so I wasn't that surprised when I couldn't get a lock. When the GPSr finally did lock onto a signal, the coordinates were cycling all over the place. If I believed the eTrex, I'd be going in all directions at once.

What is this??

I have the garmin 76s... I've found a somewhat similar problem that happens on a rare occasion when I'm having trouble getting a signal, or have just started to lose it. My GPSr will generally show that I've taken off in some random direction at a really really high rate of speed (example: sitting in my house the other day, the GPS managed to get a fix while I was flipping through the menus... When it lost the fix it suddenly showed me moving at 450+ mph, away from my house. Although I don't know how to fix this problem, or why it has happened, just thought I'd let you know there is some other weird (and possibly related) problems out there.

This is related to the difficult signal conditions that may exist in such cases. When you get a lock indoors, reflected signals, bouncing around the walls, may be included in the solution. When the GPS suddenly gets the correct signal, it may consider that you've moved some distance in apparently no time at all, hence the high logged speed.

Or it may be the other way around.

Anders

One reason why things like availability (and accuracy) is quoted as a statistic. Less than 95% of the time, then there's a less than 99% and also a less than 99.99% but there's never been and never will be a 100% guarantee as there will always be that 0.01% that nobody has a handle on.

Cheers, Kerry.

I never get lost icon_smile.gif everybody keeps telling me where to go icon_wink.gif