Truly Waterproof GPS?

Guest Mopar

be happy with.

BTW, I know about the waterproof pouches, use them for my cell on the water, and will use one for the GPS as well, just I dont really trust them to STAY sealed, waterproof and floating if it hits the water doing 50mph. I would mostly be using it mainly for the extra shock protection.

OK, tall order, I know. Any suggestions?

The best bet at the moment would seem to be the Garmin 76 and Map76 which are both rated as IPX7, i.e. submersible to one meter for 30 minutes, and they float. The new Magellan Meridian series is supposed to have the same rating, but their current 315 and 330 are only rated as IPX2, i.e. somewhat splashproof. Note that even the IPX7 rating is no guarantee if the unit impacts the water at high speed since that generates a lot more pressure than passive immersion at one meter so your plan to still put the unit in a waterproof pouch seems prudent.

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by peter:

The best bet at the moment would seem to be the Garmin 76 and Map76 which are both rated as IPX7, i.e. submersible to one meter for 30 minutes, and they float.

It's not just the 76 units. Just about all Garmin handheld units manufactured in the last 3 years meet this standard. And the new Garmin eTrex cases give those units the ability to float as well. (I'm referring to the after-market belt-clip cases, not the plastic case of the unit.)

Note that waterproof units are not air proof. Both Garmin and Lowrance use a hydrophobic membrane to allow pressure equalization, without letting water into the unit.

[This message has been edited by Prime Suspect (edited 04 October 2001).]

Thanks guys! I was already leaning toward the 76 on my own, but was a little concerned that it doesn't seem to be all that popular here. I would have thought it would have been, seeing as its not really much more expensive then a basic eTrex+PC cable. I would think the better display, better antenna, and WAAS on the 76 would be well worth the $40 more. I Couldn't help but notice in the thread about what GPS everyone uses http://forums.Groundspeak.com/ubb/Forum13/HTML/000303.html there was only one GPS 76 out of over 300 responses. Am I missing something? Some horrible flaw?

What about the MAP76? Is the added memory and mapping REALLY worth it? Seems like after you add the software, your double the price of the plain 76. Granted, bells and whistles are always "A Good Thing" in my book, but several hundred dollars good?

Guest Geoffrey

For just Geocaching, I would think that the Garmin GPS 12 would be good.

Still it is a good idea to keep the GPS in a waterproof bag. I have had a couple GPS units get water damage even though they said the Magellan ColorTrack was waterproof.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Thanks guys! I was already leaning toward the 76 on my own, but was a little concerned that it doesn't seem to be all that popular here. I would have thought it would have been, seeing as its not really much more expensive then a basic eTrex+PC cable. I would think the better display, better antenna, and WAAS on the 76 would be well worth the $40 more

I think people who just want an inexpensive GPSR for hiking go for the eTrex both for the price and the smaller size. But if you want to be able to see the display while on your waverunner, I'd definitely go with the 76 and its 'big numbers' display option.

Mapping capability does cost quite a bit extra, but for me it's well worth it for the added uses while bicycling and traveling by car. Might not be worthwhile if you'll really only use it for hiking and boating.

Guest Cape Cod Cache

Mopar,

my hand held is a G-48 , now discontinued. Built for marine, NOT waterproof. I'll go for a 76 series next. Trade up my 126 for a 225 and a bigger boat too !

t>

Mapping capability does cost quite a bit extra, but for me it's well worth it for the added uses while bicycling and traveling by car. Might not be worthwhile if you'll really only use it for hiking and boating.

Well, mapping I dont really need, but then again, how much stuff do we have that we REALLY need? icon_smile.gif I guess I'll have to wait and see how the $$ situation gets. I might be more inclined to use the GPS in the car if I didnt have to drag the laptop with me to do it.

t>

Well, mapping I dont really need, but then again, how much stuff do we have that we REALLY need? icon_smile.gif I guess I'll have to wait and see how the $$ situation gets. I might be more inclined to use the GPS in the car if I didnt have to drag the laptop with me to do it.

quote:
Originally posted by Cape Cod Cache:

Mopar,

my hand held is a G-48 , now discontinued. Built for marine, NOT waterproof. I'll go for a 76 series next. Trade up my 126 for a 225 and a bigger boat too !

Unemployment SUCKS! When I was working, I had plenty of money, and very little free time. Now, I have TONS of free time to do stuff, and no money to allow me to do any of it!

Trade up the boat? HAHAHAHA! I'm the only person I know of that traded down. Started with a 17ft with a 120HP OB. Moved up to a 23ft with a 305V8. Swapped that for a worked 350 4barrel. Know what they say about boats being a hole in the water to toss money into? That boat made quite a large hole, hehehehe. I had a friend a few blocks away with a dock that used to charge me a few bucks a week to keep it in the water there. When he sold the house and moved to Florida, I found out the marina's in the area where getting $75-$100 per foot for the season. OUCH! Add the $150 or so a week in gas, and on the trailer it went. Then I changed jobs, and no longer had a company car. Had to drive 100 miles round trip in my 3mpg truck that had been mostly used to tow the boat. Goodbye truck, hello compact car.

Hmmm, cant tow 4000lb boat with 1800lb car. Goodbye 23ft boat, hello 9ft, 500lb waverunner.

Wish I had bought one when I was younger. They're a blast to ride, but my body lets me know I'm not 20 anymore after a hour of 4-6 footers off Sandy Hook.

Funny, I used rough water to justify buying a bigger boat the 1st time, but the little waverunner handles rough water better then the boat ever did. (If you don't mind getting wet)

Guest Darmichar

I personally own a Garmin GPS 12 and will state that MY unit at least is 100% water proof. I know because I dropped it in a small stream (3-4 feet deep) unknowingly and took 45 minutes to find it. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for me) the system doesn't float. I have also taken this unit with me several times on 4-wheeler rides where it got covered in mud. All I had to do was wash it off in the sink. I always do make sure that the unit is COMPLETELY dry before opening the battery compartment. That way moisture can't get in and harm the unit.

Guest gstrong1

I also have the MAP76 & am very pleased with it. Latest firmware upgrade really added to it's capabilities,too. All 3 of my units are mapping units, so can't speak from experience about non-mapping ones. But I do know that on every cache adventure I've been on, roughly 75 or so, I've used the mapping capabilities.I wouldn't be without them, at least in the woods. One thing that comes to mind,is if you were about 3 miles into a heavily wooded area on a cache outing or just a good hike,& got turned around a couple of dozen times, being able to track back to where you started from could be an invaluable tool. I don't know if this is an option in a non-mapping unit.If you don't have a printed up topo map with you when caching, it's also great to be able to look at your unit as you're moving along, & see if there's any obstruction ahead. Lakes, rivers etc. One use I know of for the mapping on the water would be for locating islands or channels etc. I was up in the mountains of NY State, boating on whats known as the Fulton Chain of Lakes. Seven lakes covering a vast amount of distance, & all connected by channels. Would have taken forever to locate the channels without the use of the mapping. Thats in daylight,too. If you were to have headed back after dark, it would have been next to impossible.But with the mapping, just leave the units backlight on and it'll show you right where to go.If you can swing the extra $, go with the MAP76. You won't regret it. The pre-loaded database even has a ton of navaids for major bodies of water & includes tidal info for wherever you may be. icon_biggrin.gif.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest gstrong1

I also have the MAP76 & am very pleased with it. Latest firmware upgrade really added to it's capabilities,too. All 3 of my units are mapping units, so can't speak from experience about non-mapping ones. But I do know that on every cache adventure I've been on, roughly 75 or so, I've used the mapping capabilities.I wouldn't be without them, at least in the woods. One thing that comes to mind,is if you were about 3 miles into a heavily wooded area on a cache outing or just a good hike,& got turned around a couple of dozen times, being able to track back to where you started from could be an invaluable tool. I don't know if this is an option in a non-mapping unit.If you don't have a printed up topo map with you when caching, it's also great to be able to look at your unit as you're moving along, & see if there's any obstruction ahead. Lakes, rivers etc. One use I know of for the mapping on the water would be for locating islands or channels etc. I was up in the mountains of NY State, boating on whats known as the Fulton Chain of Lakes. Seven lakes covering a vast amount of distance, & all connected by channels. Would have taken forever to locate the channels without the use of the mapping. Thats in daylight,too. If you were to have headed back after dark, it would have been next to impossible.But with the mapping, just leave the units backlight on and it'll show you right where to go.If you can swing the extra $, go with the MAP76. You won't regret it. The pre-loaded database even has a ton of navaids for major bodies of water & includes tidal info for wherever you may be. icon_biggrin.gif.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

NY state, and the only way she knew how to get there was from her old hometown!

I was ready to scream, really. If only I had a little MAP76 stashed in my jacket to save the day (and several extra hours of driving).

While I'm still sure I would prefer the laptop for navigating, it is alot more cumbersome (plus the security issues of leaving it in the car or hotel room).

Right now I only grab the laptop for "special" trips. I could see keeping the MAP76 in the small backpack I always take with me in the car. (stereo faceplate, CD's, radar detector, 2 meter HT, cell phone, checkbook, etc. kind of a macho purse, heehehe)

OK, so now I guess I have to go find that job so I can buy it. dadgum icon_smile.gif

NY state, and the only way she knew how to get there was from her old hometown!

I was ready to scream, really. If only I had a little MAP76 stashed in my jacket to save the day (and several extra hours of driving).

While I'm still sure I would prefer the laptop for navigating, it is alot more cumbersome (plus the security issues of leaving it in the car or hotel room).

Right now I only grab the laptop for "special" trips. I could see keeping the MAP76 in the small backpack I always take with me in the car. (stereo faceplate, CD's, radar detector, 2 meter HT, cell phone, checkbook, etc. kind of a macho purse, heehehe)

OK, so now I guess I have to go find that job so I can buy it. dadgum icon_smile.gif

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:

Wouldn't you know it, just as I had pretty much made up my mind on the GPS76 (no map), something happens to make me sit down and rethink everything all over again.

I had rationalized that the biggest use I would have for mapping would be for auto navigation.

Remember, there's a big difference between a GPS that can display maps, and one that can actually perform routing.

quote:
Originally posted by Prime Suspect:

Remember, there's a big difference between a GPS that can display maps, and one that can actually perform routing.

Very true. But it sure would have been a huge help just having a map showing where I was on it, even if I had to plot my route manually.

Besides, since I also want it for use on my waverunner, waterproof to IPX7 or better and floats are two basic features I require that are major limiting factors in my choice.

[This message has been edited by Mopar (edited 17 October 2001).]

OK, I just finished my 1st full week back to work. I decided that I think my present GPS needs might be better met with more then one unit. Right now for the price (map size bug excluded) the Meridian line seems to be the way to go as far as a general purpose GPSr. As for my waverunner usage, the ONLY choice is the Garmin 76 series. For the difference in price between the standard 76 and the MAP 76, I can almost buy a basic Meridian.

So thats the plan. A Garmin 76 for out on the water, and a Meridian for land.

Which to buy 1st? The Merigold seems to be going thru some minor teething problems, nothing serious, but enough to make me want to sit back and wait a bit.

Also, since the Meridian doesnt float, I would be a little leary about taking it out in the atlantic ocean on my waverunner.

The kicker came today. I noticed the GPS 76 is on sale at Amazon for only $2 more then AdvancedGPS (the cheapest place I found) sells it, both with free shipping. That was the decision maker for me. By buying it thru amazon, I get to give something back to geocaching.com in the form of the $10 sales commission.

For now, my old GPS/laptop combo will have to suffice in the mapping dept.

Guest Big-BirdVa

I had a 76 Map. Not impressed with it at all. The display is nice but it won't work in cover. I sent it back to the factory and they said nothing was wrong. So back it went to where I bought it. I had it out side by side with a 330M and it easily out performed the 76 map. I just got the Garmin V and I am completely satisified with it. NO signal loss at all on 3 outings or in the vehicle. More memory and IMHO Garmin has better maps and its a lot easier to use with your PC than Magellan.

Can't argue that the Garmin V isn't a nice unit. Maybe even the BEST consumer handheld out right now.

That being said, it does not fully meet my needs. While it is just as waterproof as the GPS76, it does not float. One of my uses will be for navigation/speed measurements on a personal watercraft. I'm not tooling around on the local pond with a big, cushy, barely get wet 3 seater "SUV" either. More like a little single seat "dirtbike". I use it mostly in the ocean, where getting 10ft of air off the top of a 5ft wave is not uncommon. There is a 100% chance the GPS will get submerged every outing, and almost as good a chance of it getting dropped into the Atlantic at least a few times a year. Sure would get expensive donating a Garmin V to the mermaids once a month icon_smile.gif Best as I've been able to tell, the only 2 GPSr's that are submersible and float, are the GPS76 and the MAP76.

My choice of a Meridian as a 2nd (actually my 3rd) GPS is more economic. It just seems to have the most bang for the buck. The GPS76 + Meridian = the price of just the Garmin V. The Garmin's major advantage seems to be the auto-routing, which isn't all that important to me. Certainly not several hundred dollars more important, anyway.

Besides, this gives me one more GPS to entice other friends to join in the hunt icon_smile.gif

Can't argue that the Garmin V isn't a nice unit. Maybe even the BEST consumer handheld out right now.

That being said, it does not fully meet my needs. While it is just as waterproof as the GPS76, it does not float. One of my uses will be for navigation/speed measurements on a personal watercraft. I'm not tooling around on the local pond with a big, cushy, barely get wet 3 seater "SUV" either. More like a little single seat "dirtbike". I use it mostly in the ocean, where getting 10ft of air off the top of a 5ft wave is not uncommon. There is a 100% chance the GPS will get submerged every outing, and almost as good a chance of it getting dropped into the Atlantic at least a few times a year. Sure would get expensive donating a Garmin V to the mermaids once a month icon_smile.gif Best as I've been able to tell, the only 2 GPSr's that are submersible and float, are the GPS76 and the MAP76.

My choice of a Meridian as a 2nd (actually my 3rd) GPS is more economic. It just seems to have the most bang for the buck. The GPS76 + Meridian = the price of just the Garmin V. The Garmin's major advantage seems to be the auto-routing, which isn't all that important to me. Certainly not several hundred dollars more important, anyway.

Besides, this gives me one more GPS to entice other friends to join in the hunt icon_smile.gif

Guest brokenwing

quote:

Best as I've been able to tell, the only 2 GPSr's that are submersible and float, are the GPS76 and the MAP76.

Actually, I believe the Meridian line is rated IPX7 (waterproof) and floats too. If your going to ge a Meridian anyway, it may be the only GPS you'll need. icon_smile.gif

Brokenwing

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

Guest brokenwing

quote:

Best as I've been able to tell, the only 2 GPSr's that are submersible and float, are the GPS76 and the MAP76.

Actually, I believe the Meridian line is rated IPX7 (waterproof) and floats too. If your going to ge a Meridian anyway, it may be the only GPS you'll need. icon_smile.gif

Brokenwing

------------------

http://www.cordianet.com/geocaching

quote:
Originally posted by brokenwing:

Actually, I believe the Meridian line is rated IPX7 (waterproof) and floats too.

quote:
From Meridian Spec Sheet

Environmental Characteristics

Waterproof: IEC-529 IPX7, floats

DOH! icon_smile.gif Oh well, just goes to show no matter how hard I try, I always find something better the next day. Ok, sun's starting to come up here, and the meteor shower is winding down, so back to bed to cry.

quote:
Originally posted by brokenwing:

Actually, I believe the Meridian line is rated IPX7 (waterproof) and floats too.

quote:
From Meridian Spec Sheet

Environmental Characteristics

Waterproof: IEC-529 IPX7, floats

DOH! icon_smile.gif Oh well, just goes to show no matter how hard I try, I always find something better the next day. Ok, sun's starting to come up here, and the meteor shower is winding down, so back to bed to cry.

quote:
Originally posted by Walkin Stick:

What if it were waterproof, didn't float, but you attached the lanyard to the watercraft?

I have my doubts as to how well that would work. I would think if I were to get thrown off while holding it, instinct would be to continue holding it, breaking something I'm sure. Also, I already wear a lanyard attached to an ignition kill switch, wouldnt want to risk tangling them up.

It's something to think about though. I was thinking about adapting some sort of RAM mount, maybe then the lanyard idea can be sort of a backup to it.

You indicated before that you planned to keep the unit in a waterproof case with a clear window, which I think is a very good idea given the force of water at high speed. Most of the cases I've seen add enough flotation to let just about any GPSR float, so it shouldn't be necessary for the GPS unit to float on its own. For the cases that don't have much flotation, just toss in a piece of closed-cell foam under the GPS unit - it'll provide extra shock-cushioning and also enough flotation.