PLEASE HELP!!! Using Palm IIIxe + GPS Rand Mcnally - CONFUSED!!

Guest sparents

Guest sparents

Please someone.....HELP ME!!!!! We just found out about geocaching less than a month ago. We only have a 20 month old daughter, but thought this would be fun for us even before she is old enough to really see the FUN in this. We purchased a Palm IIIxe and bought the Rand Mcnally GPS Streetfinder Deluxe 2000 for Palm III. We were all geared up for our fist "cache", but are having problems figuring out this thing! We are not finding a compass nor are we finding a place to input latitude and longitude. Are we doing something wrong??? Is there someone else out here who uses this type device to geocache and if so.....PLEASE HELP US! Thanks SOOOO Much!!!! Renee

Guest jbmccarthy69

Here is a link to some software that looked very promising...

http://www.gpspilot.com/

I also posted a different response to this same question in one of the other forums (General?). After seeing your question several times, I went looking for this software again. Hope it helps.

Guest sparents

Hey! Thanks for the info. I have checked that site out. For $20.00 it says I can get the compass. There is also a tracker of some sort for $50.00 more dollars that has waypoints. I just wish someone out there had this system that could tell me what is the best thing to download or do from here. I'm just ready to be out there "geocaching". I know I've spent 3 days trying to get going....I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I spend anymore money on this unit!

If anyone out there in "geocacher's world" knows any more information on this.....I need it :-)

Guest jackhyde

You should have all the software you need with the GPS addon unit. I have a Magellan Companion add-on to a Handspring Visor and it came with software but it isn't very good, but I can still use it to find caches.

In fact it was two separate modules which is my main complaint. To use GPS coordinates I use the Nav Companion which allows me to set waypoints and then I can follow an on screen plot to the cache. But you don't see a map, just an indicator of the direction and distance of the target, and a plot of my route. If I use the Map Companion I can see maps and my location and it will track my travels on the map but I can't enter any GPS coordinates.

So you see I can't give you any info on your software but I bet it might be similar.

I'm currently looking for better software. I've just downloaded a trial version of Fugawi. I hope I was able to help.

Guest hallcd7

If you dont need mapping, the Magellan s/w mentioned in previous post is good. For travels using maps, i have found gpspilot mentioned in an even earlier post good. You will need Cartographer from the same web site www.gpspilot.com to get useable maps into the Palm. I have the same setup as you, however i now use a Garmin etrex Legend for geocaching and travel. Email me with specific questions if you want hallcd7@yahoo.com i'll try to help.