Garmin Mapsource & 12Map GPS

JDMC

Last week I used my Garmin 12Map GPS with Garmin's Europe Mapsource software and my laptop computer in the English countryside. The Mapsource software was very accurate and complete.

However, I wouldn't want to drive there on anything but the major motorways using the GPS without a laptop, because the map detail necessary to drive on small country roads doesn't show up (at least on my 12Map GPS) at any zoom level above about 800 feet, which is too close-in to use while driving.

And in towns, once again, the GPS by itself was barely useable while driving, but fine while walking.

But with my laptop displaying my location on the Mapsource map, driving in unknown territory was a real pleasure. And using just the GPS while walking (at 500 feet zoom level) was equally pleasing.

Sometimes I used my GPS by itself while driving with my aunt (a native there) to record my tracks, and then downloaded them later to my laptop to see where I'd been.

I'm not sure whether a PDA would show enough surrounding detail to be nearly as useful as a laptop computer while driving...