Can someone explain WAAS?

Guest leeinmemphis

Guest leeinmemphis

I've been told on this board that WAAS is very important for accuracy. What exactly is it. They said to be sure I have in on. I have a Magellan 315 and have read my manual front to back and still cannot locate anything about waas. I am coming to the conclusion that my unit must not support it. Is it critical in order to get closer to an object? My main purpose for buying the gps is for hunting and I need fairly accurate readings in medium cover. I know I'm asking for a lot but believe I have bought the wrong unit. I know the 3+ is supposed to be a good cover unit. How close will it get me and does it support waas. Also told about the 12xl and that it was a good unit for this also. Please help. I'm about to pull my hair out! At least what's left of it anyways. Thanks.

-Lee-

Guest gstrong1

I've got the III Plus, & I'll pit it up against any waas unit out there.I've also got 2 of what I believe are the more expensive waas enabled units out there, the MAP76 & the eTrex Vista.When I need to get to a set of co-ordinates, no matter what adverse conditions may exist,The III Plus has gotten me there again & again.Under tree cover, I don't believe the unit has a rival.When in the woods, in my opinion, waas does nothing for me.What the III Plus lacks in not being waas enabled, it way more than makes up for in its superior antenna design.I would have to believe that Garmin figured this in when designing the new V.When in the woods, whether looking for a cache or a tree stand, you have to get good satellite lock before you worry about picking up the waas sat.Even if you do pick up the waas sat.,I find it hard to believe that the amount of accuracy that you might pick up, maybe 5-10 ft., is going to make a huge difference.And thats assuming that whoever posted the co-ordinates used a waas enabled unit to get the numbers anyway.

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

Guest Kerry

Signal issues in obstructed areas is the main thing that can defeat WAAS in this type of environment for which it really was not designed or intended to perform within the specs.

Cheers, Kerry.

Guest Prime Suspect

quote:
Originally posted by leeinmemphis:

I've been told on this board that WAAS is very important for accuracy. What exactly is it. They said to be sure I have in on

While WAAS is not that important right now, due to their being only 2 birds transmitting WAAS data, that will change in the future. If this is to be a long-term purchase, get a WAAS enabled unit. Otherwise, be prepared to upgrade in a few years if you want the same single-digit accuracy that others will have.

Guest morganw

Negative. Do NOT order from AdvancedGPS. I had HORRIBLE experiences with them. I recommend gpscity. MUCH BETTER. I think advancedgps is run from a garage.

Guest Bob Bowter

I experienced poor customer service from AdvancedGPS before I even placed an order; no response to emails or phone calls. I did not want to take a chance with them, so I ordered my new III+ from www.thegpsstore.com. Very customer friendly, knowable about what they sell and matched the lowest price I found. The price match must be from an authorized Garmin dealer, which Garmin lists on their website.

Guest Chris Juricich

While I have occasion to buy electronics from online purveyors, I bought my eTrex through my local WestMarine shop. $110 plus sales tax. It was equal in price to most I saw online.

That being said, I just bought some computer equipment online because the price was much better. But online doesn't always mean cheaper.