DGPS

Guest tak1

Aside from WAAS, do any of you guys use a differentially corrected GPSR? I've noticed that many of you have money to burn, thus you have 2 or 3 receivers. If you are all so worried about accuracy why not buy a differential beacon and be done with it. This is a sure way to get your 6 to 9 feet EPE.

L:K

tak1, generally you will find non-WAAS diff units in a fixed mount application like boating and aviation because of the need to have a second antenna. I am of the opinion that non-waas differential is not practical in a handheld, which is what you find many of the readers here have. I would also think that additional accuracy is not the reason that people on this forum have multiple units. I'd guess that they just don't get rid of the old ones when they upgrade, then use the old units as backup.

If you'd like more info on fixed mount diff. applications, try posting a question here. Many fishermen/boaters depend on precise units to re-find underwater structure and combine the repeatable accuracy capabilities of LORAN-C and diff. GPS.

quote:
Originally posted by k2dave:

Wouldn't getting a dGPS unit to add to your gps be more expensive then buying a WAAS gps?

Normally does especially if it's an external standalone beacon but as with most things GPS it really depends on the application and comparing the requirements against the expense.

Cheers, Kerry.