Track up or North up?

I use North Up. It orients the screen so North is always the top of the screen. If you have track-up then the direction you are moving is always at the top of the screen. But, with track up, if you stop and do not move things may be confused, and most of all, with track-up your screen has to do a lot more re-drawing and may not keep up with your moves.

4497_300.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Dan Edwards:

I like track up until I get close enough that I am no longer moving around straight lines much, then I switch to North Up.

Ditto on that.

If you are moving it is a nice feature but as soon as you stop it might get confusing sometimes.

Anyway have fun with it ogen.gif

Before I bought a GPS V, I used a Legend. I left mine in North Up on the satellite page because I could never think of a reason to use track up. If you look very closely there is a very small dot on the satellite page that indicates your heading direction. It moves around on the horizon line, which is the outermost of the two circles.

rdw

I usually use track up. It is on the screen as it is to my eyes...with things coming straight at me while I'm in motion. If you are scaled way out on the map screen, it is strange to see your state up-side down when moving South if you are using track up. We are used to seeing maps with the North oriented top.

7871_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

If you look very closely there is a very small dot on the satellite page that indicates your heading direction. It moves around on the horizon line, which is the outermost of the two circles.

rdw

That was interesting! I've never noticed that indicator before. Maybe because I usually use Track up, but still. Anyone who knows when it came into the firmware, or has it actually been there all the time?

It works with the magnetic compass in the Vista as well.

Anders