Newbie Questions

Guest HauntedMyst

Guest HauntedMyst

I just bought a Magellan 320 off ebay and am waiting for it to arrive. It does not have the CD or data cable and I am wondering how important all these are? I bought this specifically to geocache. Most often I will be doing this with my cousin who has a 330.

Thanks in advance for your help and I look forward to setting a cache for you all to find!

For geocaching, the CD and cable aren't necessary. If it has old, non-updated firmware in it, however, the cable would come in handy for that. (Unless you know of someone with a Magellan 3xx series GPS receiver and cable who wouldn't mind lending a geocacher a hand.)

Guest HauntedMyst

Thanks for your reply! My cousin has the CD and cable for his 330. So that will work? I would ask him but he is our of the country.

I can't wait to use it, i feel like a kid at christmas

The cable is indeed the same. The CD for the 330 is basically irrelevant, but if you need to update the firmware, just borrow the cable (or run over there with your GPS and load it from there -- you can grab it from the MagellanGPS site and it only takes a few minutes to upload to your receiver).

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

(or run over there with your GPS and load it from there -- you can grab it from the MagellanGPS site and it only takes a few minutes to upload to your receiver).

But don't forget to have a fully charged/fresh set of batteries or it might end in tears icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by ClayJar:

(or run over there with your GPS and load it from there -- you can grab it from the MagellanGPS site and it only takes a few minutes to upload to your receiver).

But don't forget to have a fully charged/fresh set of batteries or it might end in tears icon_frown.gif

quote:
Originally posted by JasonW:

Scratch the fully charged bit. Go to the store and buy a fresh set of Energizer or Duracell batteries (doesn't need to be UltraPlatinumIridiumSpaceModulator-style, but buy brand name). Put them in right before you upload new firmware.

A few bucks on brand new brand name batteries is worth its weight in GPS receivers when you're updating firmware; if you use used or rechargeable ones, sooner or later you'll have to ship your wonderful device to the factory because the batteries died and zotted the firmware.

You also might want to reboot before uploading and close everything you can. It's not like there's a big chance of either your batteries going dead or the computer crashing during the upload, but I think of it as my little bit of GPS insurance. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by JasonW:

Scratch the fully charged bit. Go to the store and buy a fresh set of Energizer or Duracell batteries (doesn't need to be UltraPlatinumIridiumSpaceModulator-style, but buy brand name). Put them in right before you upload new firmware.

A few bucks on brand new brand name batteries is worth its weight in GPS receivers when you're updating firmware; if you use used or rechargeable ones, sooner or later you'll have to ship your wonderful device to the factory because the batteries died and zotted the firmware.

You also might want to reboot before uploading and close everything you can. It's not like there's a big chance of either your batteries going dead or the computer crashing during the upload, but I think of it as my little bit of GPS insurance. icon_smile.gif