Waterproof Mapping GPS's here please

jjv1969

I have a 76S and like it so far(only had it 3 weeks), If you know GPS and are looking for a better than average this is a good unit,if your new to all this I say the garmin 12Map, a real good beginner unit that will keep you happy and last through some abuse.

as for waterproof, I think most units are the same ,the standard is OK to 12 feet for 30 minutes,I think?

The IPX7 specification is for 30 minutes while submerged at one meter. But note that this is for static conditions and does not guarantee that a wave dumping on the unit won't let some water penetrate. For marine use in situations where it's likely to get soaked regularly (like on the deck of a kayak) I'd still recommend putting it in a waterproof case. While some individual samples will hold up fine under those conditions, there have also been plenty of reports of nominally waterproof units that weren't.

My understanding is that all current Garmin consumer outdoors and marine GPS products (except the eMap) meet the IPX7 standard. For handhelds this includes the eTrex series, GP12 series, 76 series, GPS II, III and V series. The eMap only meets the IPX5 standard (water resistant).

The Magellan Meridian and SporTrak families also meet the IPX7 standard. The Magellan 315 only meets the IPX5 standard (water resistant).

The Lowerance iFinder only meets the IPX5 standard (water resistant). Lowerence includes a waterproof bag with this unit.

By the way, the battery compartment on most GPS receivers is not water proof.

More information can also be found at:

http://joe.mehaffey.com/garwater.htm

As stated in the previous post, IPX7 is an IMMERSION standard. Driving water sprayed onto the unit from heavy rain, surf or wind can easily exceed the IPX7 standard.

When in doubt, bag it!

Steve Simpki