MS Streets 2002

Seay me

I just got this software in preparation for a road trip. My wife and I will take turns driving so we won't require stopping. The directions in streets and tirps shows a stop time of 5pm and it splits the trip into two days....it's a 12 hour straight drive and I'd prefer the software show it like that. Is there any way to lose the 'end of day' line in the point to point directions??

Chip

Thanks for the reply! I found where to do it shortly after posting.....I looked at the menu's too fast and overlooked the 'more options' selections. So far I LOVE this software, there are tons of features. I've yet to do any real time tracking with the GPS hooked up to the laptop, but I'll play with that after I figure out the basics of it. I downloaded and installed the 2-second update patch also.

Chip

A while back I did research on mapping programs to use for trip planning with my Magellan GPS315 (now a MAP330) and found Delorme Street Atlas 8 to be a great product. So I bought a copy for $39.99 and used it happily for about a year. About that time my wife bought a new computer that came with MS Streets and Trips 2001. I found myself using it all the time and have since removed Street Atlas to free up space on my hard drive.

My problem is I can't exactly explain why I prefer Street & Trips over Street Atlas! I consider Street Atlas a better product. Its GPS support is fantastic. You can generate a route and download it to your GPS. You can also exchange waypoint, tracks and routes to your GPS. Streets and Trips does NONE of this. Its only GPS interface feature at all is real time tracking and even that is crippled by a 15 second update (which you changed to 2 seconds).

I think the deciding factor for me was that Street Atlas 8 tended to generate odd and more complex routes than Streets & Trips. Also it seemed to take an act of God to change the path taken by a generated route. For example if I wanted to use a freeway other than the one it picked, I could add a via point ON my freeway. Street Atlas would then route towards my chosen freeway, get off the freeway, go on side streets to my via point UNDER the freeway, then get back on the freeway and continue with the trip. Streets and Trips usually picked the route I would have chosen in the first place and was very easy to re-direct if I wanted to take another route. Streets and Trips is also easier to use because it has less options and features.

I don't know. It just pisses me off that I prefer a less featured free program over one I researched , bought and consider to be a better program.

Just ranting.

Steve Simpkin

Thanks Steve for you experience. I'm in the market for either of these products since I don't have routing with my Vista. I see Delorme is coming out with Street Atlas 2003 on AUgust 15th and it has "vias" that let you improve the routing. Don't know if it'll work but since I really want routing that I can then load the waypoints into my Vista, I'm pretty much stuck unless you have other ideas.

Tks

Alan