ATTENTION MAP SEND TOPO USERS

EtrexRose

Who knows, but...

There was a Magellan tech support comment relayed in the Yahoo Meridian group that a Topo with more accurate maps would be coming out perhaps around April (lots of wriggle room in the phrasing).

I interpret more accurate maps to mean royalty payments that will boost the cost of the program. I think it would arguably constitute a major upgrade, too. I'll save my carping until I see the upgrade price...if reasonable, improved maps would be well worth it.

Don't get even - get odd

quote:
The gust was that there are better topo programs available and allthat they tested worked with both garmin and magellan GPS's.

There is no question at all as to if there are better maps than the Magellan and Garmin series of TOPO's. For those who don't know, they are about 1:100,000 series and there are a good many 7.5 min. series available digitally, that are much more detailed. Problem is, to say they will work with Garmin and Magellan is only partially correct. They(some, but not all) will work as far as interfacing goes. You can upload and download waypoints, routes, tracklogs and the sort. But you can'tload them onto your GPSR and then see the maps on your receiver. The only maps you can download to the receiver are those by the respective GPSR manufaturer. This is a common misunderstanding that I have to explain to customers almost daily.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"