Garmin V users

I had the Vista for about 8 months and loved it. Then Garmin came out with the V. Had to have it. Sold the Vista and now own the V. My question to V users is have you noticed quite a few features that we loved on the Vista just aren't on the V? The ones that come to mind are when you project a waypoint the Vista would go down to .03 of a mile, and the V will only go to .0 of a mile. There is alot of difference in above when you are looking for a cache.

Another major thing is on the Vista Mapsource showed all POI in the area. Now on the V they dont show up. Now if you are in a City Select area its flawless.

We need to compile a list of some of the features we miss on our lower line GPS's and ask Garmin to update the V.

If you look at the Garmin site the V is way behind the others in updates. While I had the Vista it seemed that Garmin updated it about every 6 weeks. Help me out, and lets make a list.

Thanks

Quad icon_eek.gif

It might be more of a City Select issue but I would like to get exit info to pop up when I put the cursor over an exit that it is a City Select area. If you put the cursor over an intersection on the basemap, the services pop up but with City Select, I usually just get ramps. Ramp N to W, ramp S to E, etc... icon_mad.gif

Here's another. I would like to set an arbitrary starting point for routing instead of where I am at the moment or where I was when I put it into Indoor mode.

I'm sure something else will occur to me later, but this is a start.

But....... I'd still take my GPS V over anything else out there. icon_biggrin.gif

rdw

quote:
Originally posted by rdw:

Here's another. I would like to set an arbitrary starting point for routing instead of where I am at the moment or where I was when I put it into Indoor mode.

I would like to see this also. MapSource lets you do this very easily just by creating a new route and inserting two waypoints/POIs/etc. On the GPV V, you have to switch to indoor mode and change your location to where you want the route to start from by panning the map...way too many keypresses to get the task done.

Another thing I would like to see would be an option to vary the width/size of the displayed track log line. I much prefer the size of the Vista's track log line over the GPS V's tiny little dotted line...but I would also like to be able to select between the two (or more) different sizes.

A NiMH calibrated battery level meter on both the Vista and the GPS V would be nice too.

When I found Geocaching I didn't have a GPS at all. Found my first while looking up everything I could find. Decided on the GPS V and since I don't know about any others this one seems about right. There are a couple things I wish I could do though. I'd like to be able to toggle between "Find it fastest, find it shortest, and off road" easily. I wish it had a compas but I suppose that would take different electronics. I also wish it had a NiMH sensor. Other than that I don't know what I'm missing. I'm impressed overall at how easy it has been to figure out and use.

My first unit was a Garmin 12map which I really loved. And I am very fortunate to be able to purchase GPS at wholesale so naturally when the V came out, I put my Map12 on Ebay and got the new one. I too, missed a couple of features on my 12 until I got used to using it.

While I do hide and seek caches on a fairly regular basis, my primary use is for auto navigation and plotting and navigating aerial photo routes. I also have several of the Garmin mapping CDs and am most impressed with City Select, even for smaller communities and looking up addresses. I recently popped for the 116$ to get the all region unlock codes for future trips.

I also use the GPS in my fishing boat and the "proximity" alarm feature that my 12map didn't have should come in handy on larger bodys of water where submerged rocks can be a real problem. One final note, the reciever/antenna is pretty amazing. I have left the unit on over night several times my mistake and found it still locked on to sats in the garage. I used to use an external antenna for the 12map and sold it on Ebay with the gps since the V uses a BNC connection. So far, I havn't found the need to get the extra gain ant.

That's my input.

Gordon