Lowrance

Guest Kerry

Ok just curious. Predominately the discussion centres around manufacturers like Garmin/Magellan with very little discussion from other brand users.

How about MLR's (Thales come Magellan), Lowrance. What other makes/models are being used out there?

Cheers, Kerry.

Guest kymike

Kerry I use a Lowrance GlobalMap100 and have been very satisfied with its performance. I need to learn some more about it but I would probably buy another one. You are right though most of the cachers seem to be using the Mag's and Garmins.

Guest Iron Chef

I honestly don't blame most cachers for buying Gamins and Mags because if you go into a shop that sells GPSRs then you'll most likely see one Lowrence unit and then tons of the big two. It's easy to not pay much attention to the one as it seems like the product line is very thin. I guess in some aspect it seems like there is strength in numbers when it comes to buying something expensive such as a GPS.

Then again I may be way off base here. I know that when I bought my original Garmin Etrex Venture at West Marine that I didn't even pay attention to the one Lowrence unit that they had there (also due to the price/features of the unit when compared to the Mags and Garmins). Although with this topic popping up I may just head back down to West Marine to take a look at the Lowrence unit to see how it stacks up.

------------------

-Iron Chef

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

agefive.com/geocache/ ~ Fe-26

Lets Drive Fast and Eat Cheese!

Guest Vagabond

I use an old Lowrance Global nav 212 and have been very happy with it. Also I dont think it goes through an exceptional amount of batteries. icon_biggrin.gif and it has found its share of caches. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Although later this fall I probably will replace it with something that is waas enabled.

[This message has been edited by Vagabond (edited 06 October 2001).]

Guest Vagabond

I use an old Lowrance Global nav 212 and have been very happy with it. Also I dont think it goes through an exceptional amount of batteries. icon_biggrin.gif and it has found its share of caches. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Although later this fall I probably will replace it with something that is waas enabled.

[This message has been edited by Vagabond (edited 06 October 2001).]

Guest thfireman

I was loaned a Lowrance to use for a few months. I found it was difficult to learn how to move around and the navigation screens were confusing. Maybe I am just not a fast learner! I later bought my Etrex Legend. I had the basics of operation down on that unit in an hour or so and have enjoyed the ease of navigating the pages and options. It is simular to using a mouse on a computer. I think that the big 2 name brands give a beginner a better chance to learn and there for it draws a larger consumer base.

------------------

Thanks,

ThFireman

[This message has been edited by thfireman (edited 07 October 2001).]

Guest rmpgis

hings because I'm more familiar with Lowrance terminology.

John

PS Many of the functions of OziExplorer will work with Garmin and other brands. It's only the map data that's Lowrance specific (OziMC).

John