GPS Compact Flash Cards

lockdoc

Sure! I purchased the Ambicom GPS-CF unit and have had very good luck with it. I use GPS Tuner 1.3 as the supporting software. It comes with a 30 day trial of PocketMap Navigator.

Cost for the card is about $159.00 at Circuit City. Hey, if you don't like it, you got 30-days!

Ambicom Web Site

7Triple7

Compaq iPaq 3975 w/ Ambicom GPS-CF

Garmin etrex Vista

I ended up purchasing a Fortuna Pocket XTrac dual-mode GPS from Semsons.com. You can find reviews for this highly recommended (by me anyways icon_smile.gif unit and other CF GPS cards at www.gpspassion.com. You'll find that they recommend the two popular versions currently sold on eBay, the GlobalSat BC-307 and the Holux GM-270. Since they seem to go around $100 on eBay, my advice would be to purchase from someone like Semsons with a decent return policy in the event there's a problem with the unit or you simply decide that the GPS CF option is not for you.

I should state that the SiRF/XTrac chipset as found in the Pocket XTrac is probably overkill for most geocaching needs, but a number of caches I've been intersted in are in thick woods and canyons, and I felt the extra $50-60 for more sensitivity was worth it.

As mentioned by Texplorer, gpspassion.com has a lot of great information on the sort of set up you're looking into, as well as some good mapping software solutions.

I picked up the GlobalSat BC-307 about a little over half a year ago from Semsons, and absolutely love it. I use it on a Dell axim with mapopolis street navigation software to get me to where I'm going. I don't really feel the Pocket PC is rugged enough guide me through the woods though, so I use a stand alone GPS unit when I get out of the truck

i too use the Ambicom GPS CF card and have found it great for motoring use, and it's working pretty good for geocahing.. in my 4 attempts so far! LOL.

It did suffer from signal loss a little in Yosemite valley under trees... but it was:

In a very deep gorge

Mounted in a car.

Under trees.

So I can forgive that.

I also bought a Globalsat BC-307 CF GPS to use with my Dell Axim. I got mine off of Ebay for $80.00. I find it to be a surprisingly accurate unit (based on my Garmin 76S.) I also got GPS Tuner 2.0 (which I think is an awesome little program) and Range & Bearing Calculator 1.2(6) which also comes in handy. All these coupled with National Geographics Pocket Topo (for North Carolina) makes this a handy GPS however, one slip and fall in the woods, brush, grass, yard, etc. and I think something would be broken so it does not see much use off the hard surface.