Choosing a GPS - Rino or Legend?

Hello,

I am new to GPS and have spent loads of time reading in the past week. I am ready to order now but have questions that I can't seem to find the answer that I am looking for. I have narrowed the search down to the Garmin Rino and Legend. We primarily are in the woods of Wisconsin, driving our 4 wheel drives on trails. I was recently given a map with coordinates on it and I would like to be able to put it to use! My question is really very basic but here goes: Are all FRS channels equal? We need to know if we can communicate with other 2-way radio users who have, perhaps, Motorola radios. Also from what I've read, the quad helix antenna may be superior to the patch. Is that true?

Thanks,

Andrea Lyman

Hi Chevy,

Sounds like your ready to hit the woods. Caching is a great pass-time, I know you will enjoy it!

As far as radio and GPS are concerned, I have no experience with the Rhino or simular equip., but would probably opt for separate units. The old adage, "if it breaks, it's broken" may apply where both units are combined and you may have a need for the radio or GPS in an emergency or urgent situation.

A popular idea here seems to be FRS channel 2 and a small GPS. The FRS equipment from a quality mfg will serve you well. Range is limited because of the low power, so plan accordingly. If your group expects to communicate only amongst itself, check the recently FCC autorized M.U.R.S. radio service. This service uses VHF and much higher power (2 watts rather than 500mw) than FRS.... and no license is required. Or... carry both... The FRS equipment today is very small and lightweight, the M.U.R.S, a little bigger and heavier, but not much.

As for the GPS unit, many, many to choose from. Quality Mfgr's include Garmin, Magellin and others. Choose the unit with the features you need. Download-able maps are a great option... I would invest a little more $$$ to have that option, then you have a very versatile device.

I'm sure many will here provide more info. This is a great group!

Enjoy and Safe Caching,

Dave,

Akron, Ohio

Thanks for the reply. I see Radio Shack has a pair of 2-way radios on sale for a price that is a lot less than paying for that feature in a GPS. I suppose then the antenna comparison is what is the deciding factor for a GPS. I definitely want to be able to download topo maps, since mapping local forestry trails is something I'm interested in. I started out looking at the yellow eTrex but in a week's time I'm pretty well sold on the Legend icon_smile.gif. I really enjoy this site, and there happens to be a cache hiding in a forest that is about 10 miles away from me. Oh how I want to go and find it today! I think the GPS will be perfect with our four wheeling adventures, and look forward to hiking around looking for a cache with my kids.

Happy Trails,

Andrea Lyman

ChevyFam,

I used to hike and hunt with a Yellow Etrex and a Motorola FRS. Once the Rino's became available, I got one and have used it since.

Reasons for getting it? I now use one less AA battery, have GMRS capabilities and have a (reasonably) waterproof system.

Get the Rino 120, it comes with the data cable, 8 megs of memory and a silent (vibe) alert. The 110 doesn't have those, and it's not a big price difference once you look at that.

It is at least equal to the Legend in quality for the GPS portion, and is more functional.

Some complain about the sound quality and short transmit distance - I will use a ham radio to get distance if I need it. It works for me.

FRS and GMRS are mainstream right now, whereas most people haven't even heard of MURS yet. I wish that Garmin would have put more power into the transmit on the Rino, but the unit as it is works very well for me.

OddTodd - Happy Rino user.

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

quote:
Originally posted by bigdaveoh:

Oh.....

One other thing I forgot.... My first Cache... I didn't have a compass (magnetic) or a real map.... what a mistake....

So... I made a bag to "grab and go" with all that neat stuff.... energy bars and water too!!

Have done the same things here, except for the bars and water in the bag... will be in there before my next hunt, though :-)

I ordered a Legend today. It has already shipped. It was only $150 so I am happy! It will be a long couple of days waiting for it to get here.

Whenever we go 4 wheeling I throw drinks & snacks into a cooler that stays in my truck. It's soft-sided and I can strap it to the roll cage for safety. I pack things like baggies with summer sausage & cheese chunks, apples, and of course water. Healthy stuff at any rate. You never know how long you'll be out in the woods! I also keep a couple of cans of emergency food along with a can opener in my tool box. And a big first aid kit. And blankets. LOL. I like being prepared!

Andrea

Well Chevy....

....sounds like you are on your way to geo-fun-caching times! Once your out and about, post here with your 1st couple of cache stories. It's nice to see it all come together for new cachers.

Enjoy your new equipment.......

.....and safe caching.

Dave,

Akron, Ohio

I got my Legend last Friday. We found our first cache on Saturday, after using the Legend Friday night and Saturday for a camping trip icon_smile.gif. I'd find more, but hubby seems to really love this too and wants us to wait for the weekends when he can come with. I did mount the GPS on the dash yesterday and now at least I know how fast I'm going. Pretty nice!

-Andrea