What I'd like to see from Garmin...

I'd like to see Garmin come out with a new "Professional Series" line of GPS. Here's some of the features they should offer:

* A color screen available on the top model.

* Ability to use CF or SD cards, rather than proprietary memory. What with Lexar just releasing a 4 GB Compact Flash card, it just makes sense. icon_wink.gif

* A USB or Firewire connector for downloading maps. Garmin's a great company, but their proprietary accessories really hork my shpinkle.

* An option for a Lithium Ion battery pack for hard-core trekkers.

* a "Survivor" model which has the features of the Rino, adds the above, and also adds an emergency weather radio receiver.

I like the ideas, but how about an external connector to recharge the L-ion battery or connect an external battery pack.

Oh, and waypoints limited by memory, not by 500 or 1000. No maps=more waypoints. Basically Waypoints to use Map Memory (with the 4gb flash of course!)

OddTodd

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)

The first part of the list sounds like a description of the iQue3600. Maybe what's really needed is just a protective case that also houses an external battery pack (I'd prefer one that takes AAs so we can choose alkaline, lithium, or NiMH as desired).

I just wish they would have extended the GPS usefulness of the iQue to make it like a regular GPSr - with compass arrow and else. Instead of buying the iQue, I'll just buy a Vista and later a Palm type device.

T.

Cadence

(OddTodd and CheleBell)

FRS2,12GMRS22(WPXD965)