Where are them pesky satellites?

EraSeek

For those of you with a bit of spare time on your hands....

You can use a program used by Amatuer Radio Operators to locate Sats used in Amatuer Sat Communications. This program predicts visability of sats from a given location (like your home). The program can show the position of any orbital item for which the Keplers (orbital math parameters) are available. The program name is "WxSat". Once loaded with the keplers, WxSat will display a world map with all of the orbits overlayed.. updating in real time. The program also has the ability to print out a "pass list" that will tell you what birds are going to be in view, at what altitude and azmith at what time. A web search will locate the program for you.

Then you need to find the keplers for the GPS birds. This can be found at

http://celestrak.com/NORAD/elements/gps-ops.txt

A little off the subject of GPS, but still involves looking into space. This cool page from NASA tracks where the space station is as well as the shuttle if it's up there in real time over a map of the world.

Theres also a link to sighting opportunities, as the station grows larger as it gets built, it will get easier to see. Now if I could just get a cache placed up there... I can see it now... a moving cache, elevation - 250 miles. Hint: It's under the solar panel in a gold foil covered tupperware container.

NASA Real Time Tracking

There are two rules for success: 1) Never tell everything you know. 2)

quote:
brdad wrote:

Now if I could just get a cache placed up there... I can see it now... a moving cache, elevation - 250 miles. Hint: It's under the solar panel in a gold foil covered tupperware container.

Shoot, that would've been a 5/5 cache except that you had to go and give that clue. You should really have encrypted that! icon_frown.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Daddy, are we there yet? No, .17 to go. Are we there yet? No, .16 to go....."

quote:
brdad wrote:

Now if I could just get a cache placed up there... I can see it now... a moving cache, elevation - 250 miles. Hint: It's under the solar panel in a gold foil covered tupperware container.

Shoot, that would've been a 5/5 cache except that you had to go and give that clue. You should really have encrypted that! icon_frown.gif

x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-

"Daddy, are we there yet? No, .17 to go. Are we there yet? No, .16 to go....."