New GPS III+ Questions

Guest a_calder

Guest a_calder

I am the proud owner of a brand new Garmin III+ which I just got off of eBay.

It appears to be in mint condition, with manuals, box and everything.

My question is for those experienced III+ users out there. Are there any undocumented features to this unit that I should know about?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alistair

Guest k2dave

quote:
My question is for those experienced III+ users out there. Are there any undocumented features to this unit that I should know about?

Not really. There is a way to put it into a test mode by holding the menu? button while powering up - (don't do it on my suggestion because it might not be the menu button and one combo of buttons clears temp calabration data). The test mode will show you the temp inside your unit, maybe batt voltage and some other stuff (I havn't done it in a while)

Besides that I think everything is documented. It is a very good unit and holds a lock better then most units - a little stingy on mem though.

Guest RealDcoy

First,

Hold down the enter button, and then turn the unit on. A diagnostic screen will come up. The number in the top right corner is the software version. It should be 2.05. If it isn't, I would suggest downloading the updates. There are only a few things that it changed that affected my use, but you might as well have curent production software.

Then, if you are using MapSource products, check for the current software version also. Heck, I had somebody GIVE me Roads&Rec for free because they had version 2.01 when 2.03 was out. They bought another. They were UPSET when they found out the new version updates are free. The product was DEFINITELY not worth $100 when it was 2.01. It was basically worthless. It has been updated 10 times since then! Current version is 4.03

[This message has been edited by RealDcoy (edited 16 August 2001).]