DeLorme Street Atlas and Etreks Legend

Guest flibbertigibbits

Guest flibbertigibbits

I am trying to interface my Legend w/Street Atlas. According to the help files for SA, the software should support the unit I have but I have tried all the settings, i.e. Garmin/Garmin, NMEA generic, etc and none work. If I set the software to Garmin/Garmin then run the auto detect it shows the gps but gives a no lock prompt in the initialization screen. All other interface settings give a "no GPS unit found" when auto-detecting. I really don't want to spend 100$ on Roads and Recreation if I don't have to. Any suggestions on settings or a less expensive software that will allow me to view, on my pc, routes and waypoints? thanks in advance.

quote:
Originally posted by flibbertigibbits:

I am trying to interface my Legend w/Street Atlas. ... If I set the software to Garmin/Garmin then run the auto detect it shows the gps but gives a no lock prompt in the initialization screen.

The Legend should work with Street Atlas. When you use Garmin/Garmin mode and it indicates no lock, does your Legend actually have a satellite lock or not (if it's indoors it may well not have a lock)?

I use an eMap with Street Atlas and even without a satellite lock I can still upload routes and waypoints to the eMap and download my tracklog to the PC. If you have tried to do this, what was the response?

You also mentioned using NMEA mode on Street Atlas - did you switch the interface setting to NMEA on the Legend as well? This mode is more limited since it doesn't have the capability to upload routes and download tracklogs, but it should still work in moving map mode if your Legend is in a location where it can get a satellite lock.

BTW, although it certainly does cost more $$ (~120), I consider Garmin's MetroGuide-USA to be worth it. It's really nice to have detailed and quite accurate maps right on the GPSr and also to be able to find businesses and any address without need for a PC or laptop.

Guest flibbertigibbits

Here are the settings on my Garmin Legend.

Serial Data Format: Garmin

Settings on Street Alas:

Device: Garmin/Garmin

Port: Comm 2 (comm 1 is Palm Pilot)

Settings :9600,8,N,1

Auto Detect is set to "on"

When I initialize GPS in SA, the screen shows, "no fix" even with a Sat lock on the Legend. After the three minute window for update, the message on the initialization screen changes to "no gps detected"

When I try and upload waypoints from the GPS to SA, I get an error downloading from GPS.

You didn't mention which version of Street Atlas you have. Older versions required a patch file available from the DeLorme website to work with eTrex and other newer Garmin models. It's at:

http://www.delorme.com/support/multi/multi018.asp?D=233&Q=d&K=&P=8051&C=12

I'd also try again but with the Palm Pilot software on Comm 1 completely disabled. I've heard of others who had problems due to this software even though it's on a separate port.

If this doesn't help, try DeLorme's tech support.

Good luck.

Guest PneumaticDeath

I use a etrex legend with SA 9, and haven't had any problems getting the two to talk (well.. other than SA being a litle slow to recognize lock occasionally). I can upload and download from the unit without problems.

I'm not overly impressed with SA's ability to calculate routes however. It often tells me to do things like turn onto a freeway from an overpass even though there is no onramp nearby, or telling me to get off the freeway just so I can get back on. It seems worse in some ares than others.

-- Mitch

Guest flibbertigibbits

Well I downloaded the patch and no I can see the data stream updating on the software side but I still get no sat lock up and cant transfer waypoints still. Dang, Guess I will buy Metro and just use it.

I use a Laptop and have both Delorme Street Atlas 9.0 and Topo 3.0 I also have a TripMate GPS for the Laptop. I was not aware that the Garmin Legend was capable of uploads and downloads with the above software. I have the Garmin Legend, what should my setting be for the transfer of info between them? I would appreciate any input and information that would help me and others that have this same issues

Frank icon_confused.gif

I use a Laptop and have both Delorme Street Atlas 9.0 and Topo 3.0 I also have a TripMate GPS for the Laptop. I was not aware that the Garmin Legend was capable of uploads and downloads with the above software. I have the Garmin Legend, what should my setting be for the transfer of info between them? I would appreciate any input and information that would help me and others that have this same issues

Frank icon_confused.gif

I use my Garmin eMap with DeLorme's Street Atlas and TopoUSA programs and haven't had any problems. I set the DeLorme program to use the 'Garmin/Garmin' interface and set the port to use 9600 baud, 8-bits, no parity. I set the eMap interface to 'GARMIN.' I'd expect the Legend to operate in the same manner.

I was thinking of using a Garmin GPS-V or GPSIII as a GPS receiver with laptop in the RV. Would one of those work also with a laptop? I could then use the GPS unit hiking or in a car where there was not as much room for a laptop. Thanks for the help.

Michael