Loading detailed topographical maps into your GPSR...........

This point needs to be reiterated for those new to GPS receivers and perhaps looking to buy their first or maybe upgrading..........Garmin GPSRs(only certain models of them) will accept only Garmin MapSource Topo and Magellan GPSRs (only certain models of them) will accept only Magellan MapSend Topo . The detail on these products is approx. equal to 1:100,000 USGS Topo maps. No other mapping products are able to be loaded onto your receiver. Hope that helps clear the way for you.

7871_200.jpg

Don't know why, but when I created a waypoint for my home it was 140' west of the actual location in mapsend. I drove around today and the downloaded map was right on while I was driving down the freeway. There only seem to be 2 satellites with good reception at my home and there were as many as 7 active satellites when I was geo caching so that might have made the difference.

quote:
There only seem to be 2 satellites with good reception

The number of satellites received and their geometry in the sky have a big effects on the accuracy of the receiver. Also, all map products have errors. Not just digital maps. I have never yet used any type of map that doesn't have errors. Some of them are glaring!

7871_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by nemethmik:

What's more the accuracy of these topo maps are quite inferior to that of their PC, PocketPC or Palm counterparts. If your current location is marked on a Garmin device's map on the other side of a road, rails or river,

do not panic icon_wink.gif the map may be wrong.

That hasn't been my experience. I've found the Garmin Topo maps to be a pretty faithful representation of the USGS 1:100,000 maps - with both the good and bad points. I.e. not much detail compared to the 1:24000 series, but what is shown is pretty accurate. They are also very dated, so roads built in the last 20 years or so may not be shown. Of course some roads may have been moved and in that case the old location would be shown.

In comparison, Roads & Recreation shows far more recent roads but with much worse accuracy.

quote:
Originally posted by nemethmik:

What's more the accuracy of these topo maps are quite inferior to that of their PC, PocketPC or Palm counterparts. If your current location is marked on a Garmin device's map on the other side of a road, rails or river,

do not panic icon_wink.gif the map may be wrong.

That hasn't been my experience. I've found the Garmin Topo maps to be a pretty faithful representation of the USGS 1:100,000 maps - with both the good and bad points. I.e. not much detail compared to the 1:24000 series, but what is shown is pretty accurate. They are also very dated, so roads built in the last 20 years or so may not be shown. Of course some roads may have been moved and in that case the old location would be shown.

In comparison, Roads & Recreation shows far more recent roads but with much worse accuracy.

quote:
Originally posted by st_richardson:

Has Garmin ever offered a map update?

When the current version of MetroGuide-USA came out last fall, Garmin offered a free upgrade to anyone who had bought the old one recently (I think the cut-off was sometime in June), and a reduced price ($50?) for others to exchange the old version.

They're coming out with new CS/CN maps soon and are again offering an upgrade price for owners of the old version.

What I've done is load up the Garmin Topo maps in my 76, and then use the National Geographic Topo maps to set up routes and waypoints for hikes. The waypoints get placed pretty close to the right places on the Garmin topo map; the bonus being that they match very closely to the paper-based maps that I carry. (we are all carrying paper maps and compasses, right? Right? icon_smile.gif )

The downside is that for both topo packages, you're looking at around US$200 plus the cost of any paper maps for the region, but it works like a charm. On my last outing, the paper map stayed in the backpack.

What I've done is load up the Garmin Topo maps in my 76, and then use the National Geographic Topo maps to set up routes and waypoints for hikes. The waypoints get placed pretty close to the right places on the Garmin topo map; the bonus being that they match very closely to the paper-based maps that I carry. (we are all carrying paper maps and compasses, right? Right? icon_smile.gif )

The downside is that for both topo packages, you're looking at around US$200 plus the cost of any paper maps for the region, but it works like a charm. On my last outing, the paper map stayed in the backpack.