Meridian Gold Firmware 3.08 Bug?

While on an activated route, sought the vertical profile. After "Calculating, Please Wait" screen, "Poor GPS Coverage" screen appeared with associated alarm. At least five satellites tracked with solid signal strengths. Verified at different speeds and while stationary.

Another curious item. While on an activated route, cursor to a road not on the route and press "enter". Vertical profile for the indicated road will appear.

Any ideas???

I've seen the vertical profile screen pop-up at unexpected times since I upgraded to 3.08. I haven't been able to come up with the exact sequence of circumstances that makes it happen.

quote:
Originally posted by Top:

Another curious item. While on an activated route, cursor to a road not on the route and press "enter". Vertical profile for the indicated road will appear.

Any ideas???

I have a Meridian Gold.

The profile of a street by pressing ENTER has always been there. It's documented in the Mapsend TOPO software. What isn't documented is which way North is on the screen. I think that if you hightlight an east-west road, the left side of the profile is west, and for a north-south road, the left side is north. I haven't played with it that much to be sure. And as far as I can tell, it won't update your position on the profile as you move. The profile is a snapshot and you have to exit the profile and enter it again to refresh.

I upgraded to firmware 3.08. Right now, I'm in a building that blocks all GPS signals. I activated a route and seleted Vertical Profile. The unit thought for a moment and then displayed the profile. No "poor coverage" message. Don't know what to tell you, mine works ok.

My son was the navigator on this trip and he dutifully wrote down the key sequence which brought up the "Poor GPS Coverage" page.

-Traveling on an activated route, map screen displayed.

-Press "Menu".

-Highlight "Vertical Profile".

-Press "Enter".

-Highlight "Route".

-Press "Enter".

-Highlight activated route.

-Press "Enter".

-Screen appears "Calculating, Please wait".

-Alarm sounds with "Poor GPS Coverage".

-Press "Enter", vertical profile will appear.

Hopefully, someone else with the 3.08 firmware can reproduce this. I'd hate to think that I'm the "Lone Stranger" on this one.

quote:

Hopefully, someone else with the 3.08 firmware can reproduce this. I'd hate to think that I'm the "Lone Stranger" on this one.

Looks like we're 2 for 2 on this one. I tried several routes, short ones (2 points), long ones (16+ points), ones that went in and out of "detail map" areas, ones that ran over water, mixing user with detail POIs, etc.. I was unable to reproduce this with the steps described above on my MeriGold.

Does it do this for any route or just a specific route, or maybe any route with a specific point? If you can dump the route and points in Mapsend, I'd gladly load 'em and see if it's the unit or the data. I'm guessing it'll probably be the data.

???

alex

quote:

Alex, I've got the waypoints in MapSend and I'd appreciate it if you'd check it out. As I'm new to the list, how do I get the file to you?

You can email it to xxx@telocity.com, however you'll need to replace the 'xxx' in the email address with "alexmot" which is really the first half of my email, not "xxx".

icon_smile.gif

Regards,

alex

quote:

Alex, I've got the waypoints in MapSend and I'd appreciate it if you'd check it out. As I'm new to the list, how do I get the file to you?

You can email it to xxx@telocity.com, however you'll need to replace the 'xxx' in the email address with "alexmot" which is really the first half of my email, not "xxx".

icon_smile.gif

Regards,

alex

quote:

I got the waypoints & route and loaded them on my Meridian Gold via Mapsend Topo. I tried the above steps, and it gave me a vertical profile of zero (no detail maps for that area loaded).

Created a detail map of that area covering the whole route, loaded it, got the vertical profile fine. Still no kaboom.

I think the only thing I haven't tried was to actually travel on that route and try it at the same time.

Sorry I couldn't be of any more help!

alexm

quote:

Thanks for trying. I'll be uploading another route while headed into California this weekend. Let's see if it does it again.

Nice route though. I drove from Vegas up to Hoover Dam last summer. Coming from an area where Topo lines are virtually non-existant, I *REALLY* enjoyed the scenery. It almost made some of the traffic bearable. icon_wink.gif

alex

quote:

Thanks for trying. I'll be uploading another route while headed into California this weekend. Let's see if it does it again.

Nice route though. I drove from Vegas up to Hoover Dam last summer. Coming from an area where Topo lines are virtually non-existant, I *REALLY* enjoyed the scenery. It almost made some of the traffic bearable. icon_wink.gif

alex

Made the trip into California and wasn't able to recreate the "Poor GPS Coverage" bug. However, when I reverse route, the little bugger popped up intermitently. Some areas provided the vertical profile without the warning. It appears that the bug will only appear when you're on a reverse route and then not in all areas. This is as bad as taking the car into the shop and not being able to demonstrate the problem. Either that or a intermitent ground!