Garmin to IPAQ Cable?

Guest joshgray

Guest topografix

quote:
Originally posted by joshgray:

I remember seeing it somewhere, can anyone point me towards a cable that connects directly from an eTrex to an IPAQ

I'm down to a two-cable connection after ordering the following item from Compaq:

RS-232 Serial Cable

Don't get the Serial sync cable, the connectors don't match without a gender changer.

------------------

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com

Guest rivercacher

I just bought one from a guy on ebay...it works great. Price was about $22. It has the Compaq iPaq connector on one end and the eTrex connector on the other. Go to Ebay and do a search for "Garmin Etrex" The guy's email address is gnhovis@yahoo.com.

What program do you use on the iPAQ to track the data? Will PocketStreets work or is there something better? I am looking for something more for streets and use GPS stand alone unit for cache finding.

Thanks

Do you prefer one over the other? Does Pharos do anything better than Pocket Streets? Talking is one option I see, but it's not worth extra $150 to me. Which one do you use mainly and like better?

THanks

Guest joshgray

You're probabbly looking at the 'kits' that come with the GPS. Below is an example of just the software. There are more on the "where to buy" page of pharosgps.com

I shelled out a few bucks to pick up streets and trips 2002 and am playing with that now. I like it alot more, but it does not do voice prompting, and i'm not sure if it even does routing yet.

http://www.mobileplanet.com/product.asp?cat%5Fname=&cat%5Fid=&dept%5Fid=2320&pf%5Fid=MP730902&listing=1

Thanks for the link Josh, I will check it out. I just got an IPAQ from a friend and want tot try and hook my Vista up to it. I'm not sure exactly how, but surely there is a way. Basically for the bigger screen while driving, still use the Vista for caching. Thanks again!!

Rock G