External Antenna question

Guest Pote

I'm thinking of puttin an external antenna on my Santa Claus list this year. I have a GPSMap76 and I'm wondering if the antenna need to be WAAS compatible. Garmin says the external antenna for my unit is the GA27C, which costs between $75USD and $100. One web site listed a generic external antenna with a variety of connectors - BNC, etc. Do yall think I'll get a WAAS signal on any ol' antenna? For that matter, could I use a II, III or IV antenna with the correct patch cable?

Guest Growley

Pote, here's what I did but first let me say that I get WAAS semi-regularly without my external antenna. I bought an external antenna for my MAP76 off of eBay for about $37.00 and it came with the proper connector. Now, as soon as I plugged it in and placed it on the roof of my vehicle the increase in signals and receiving of birds was incredible. But, I did not want it for the car so here is what I did. I mounted the magnetic-based antenna on a 3" metal disk. On the other side I epoxied a plastic tube about 3" long and 3/4" in diameter. When I am off in the woods or under heavy cover, I get out my 3-piece graphite tent pole, snap it together, slip my "antenna unit" on the top of the pole, plug it in and start receiving bigger and better signals. My 3-piece pole can be 3, 6 or 9 feet in length depending on brush or tree cover. Although slightly cumbersome at times, I have seen a definite improvement. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'm fortunate cuz I get a diff. signal pretty often w/o an external antenna. Growley, I was thinking of something similar but less cumbersome - maybe something small that I could attach to my shoulder, etc. so I can hike and save my track plot w/o having to hold the daggum unit infront of me.

Having an external would also be a bonus on the hiway. Last weekend we were travelling down the intersate near Charlotte and were trying to pick the exit we wanted for gas/food. It was a little pain for my lovely co-pilot to bend forward and make sure the birds were in view while looking at the exit data. It would have been sweet to keep the antenna on the dash and she could have run the GPS from her lap.

Her eis a link to a pretty small third party antenna. It should work based on what you all are saying and it's $22!

http://www.tvnav.com/mightymouse2.html

Guest Alphawolf

quote:
Originally posted by Pote:

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I'm fortunate cuz I get a diff. signal pretty often w/o an external antenna. Growley, I was thinking of something similar but less cumbersome - maybe something small that I could attach to my shoulder, etc. so I can hike and save my track plot w/o having to hold the daggum unit infront of me.

Having an external would also be a bonus on the hiway. Last weekend we were travelling down the intersate near Charlotte and were trying to pick the exit we wanted for gas/food. It was a little pain for my lovely co-pilot to bend forward and make sure the birds were in view while looking at the exit data. It would have been sweet to keep the antenna on the dash and she could have run the GPS from her lap.

Her eis a link to a pretty small third party antenna. It should work based on what you all are saying and it's $22!

http://www.tvnav.com/mightymouse2.html

You won't get this for $22.00! I don't know where you saw that price, but I sell this thing, and the cheapest it goes for is the $60.00 price range. If you can get it for $22.00 Let me know where from, 'cause that's a whole bunch cheaper than I pay wholesale for it!

My bad, you are right, Alpha. I did a google and the search results had the $22 for another item showing next to the MM2.

So please tell me, will this unit work well with my GPSMAP76? What are your impressions of it? A good value or not? I'f you'd rather take this off-board to email, feel free to email me.

If your buying an antenna for a GPSMAP 76 or any of Garmin's unit that only use two AA batteries then make sure whatever antenna you buy is compatable witht the 2.5V systems of the newer units. If the unit uses only two AA batteies the it will only supply 2.5V to the external antenna hookup. Many of the older external antennas require 5V to operate so make sure you have an antenna that is compatable with the voltage output of you GPS.

Late

mcb

Guest gstrong1

For my MAP76, I picked up the Garmin 27C external.A little pricey at around $65.00, but to me, worth every penney. Comes with the suction cup bracket for the car windshield & wire is long enough to put the antenna under my hat & keep the unit holstered on my belt or in my backpack until I have to be looking at it.Never misses a beat in the woods or in the cachemobile. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

[This message has been edited by gstrong1 (edited 09 November 2001).]

Guest gstrong1

For my MAP76, I picked up the Garmin 27C external.A little pricey at around $65.00, but to me, worth every penney. Comes with the suction cup bracket for the car windshield & wire is long enough to put the antenna under my hat & keep the unit holstered on my belt or in my backpack until I have to be looking at it.Never misses a beat in the woods or in the cachemobile. icon_biggrin.gif

------------------

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

Rochester,NY

[This message has been edited by gstrong1 (edited 09 November 2001).]

Guest Rich in NEPA

y link" by pulling apart should the antenna or cable get snagged by a branch. I always keep it attached to the 12XL, since it also saves wear-and-tear on the receiver's tiny MCX connector.

p7020017cxm.jpg

pa140002cxm.jpg

I actually have two of these antennas--the second, with either the magnetic mount or the suction cup, is for use in my car.

010-10052-05.jpg

~~Rich in NEPA~~

====================================================================

? A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ?

====================================================================

[This message has been edited by Rich in NEPA (edited 10 November 2001).]

Thanks all for the replies. Cape Codder, I am indeed a marine user - that's the #1 misson of the unit. I have a holder screwed onto the dash of the boat and I don't need the external for the boat at all. I get a great signal all the time on the water. I was interested in the external for the car, bike and foot mostly.

The stripers are here in the Chesapeake pretty well now. Was out today - water was 58 degrees. Had about 35 schoolies (only can keep 2/person) and a nice pair of weakfish, too!