Ok, please quit outbidding me!

I've been trying for the past couple of weeks to get a good deal on various GPS units at eBay. My goal is to stay around $50 but spend no more than $65. The main ones I have come close to getting is a one of the Garmin (regular yellow or sumit) or the magellen GPS module that goes in the handspring visor since I already have one of those. Like I've said, I've come close but someone jacks up the price at the last minute to over a $100. Are these demented individual buyers or sneaky sellers? I'm watching about 12 different auctions right now so if anyone here sees "phgreer" bidding on something and is the high bidder please give me a break! I'm trying to make my wife happy by not spending a lot on one of these. However I've also been breaking her down by bringing her on a few receiverless searches by going by the cheats but we have discoverd the cheat clues don't always work. hehe.

The trick to ebay is that every time someone bids the price goes up, and for a popular item anyone who bids early on is almost certain to be outbid. So, what you have to do is restrain yourself from bidding until the final seconds. When the auction is down to about the last 2 minutes bring up two browser windows. In one, log in and go through the bid process, entering the maximum amount you are willing to pay, and go all the way to the final confirmation screen but do not confirm yet. In the other window bring up the item's auction page and hit reload every few seconds, watching the time remaining tick away. Do not confirm your bid in the first window until the time remaining in the second window is less than 30 seconds. The closer to zero seconds you hit that confirmation button the better, just keep in mind that when you click the button a few seconds will elapse so don't do it too late.

One of two things will happen. Either you will win the item because you got the last bid in, or you'll be outbid because someone either sneaked in just past you or placed an earlier bid for a higher amount. Either way you win, because if you don't get the item you at least get the satisfaction of knowing that whoever beat you is stuck paying more than you know the item is worth. icon_biggrin.gif

The trick to ebay is that every time someone bids the price goes up, and for a popular item anyone who bids early on is almost certain to be outbid. So, what you have to do is restrain yourself from bidding until the final seconds. When the auction is down to about the last 2 minutes bring up two browser windows. In one, log in and go through the bid process, entering the maximum amount you are willing to pay, and go all the way to the final confirmation screen but do not confirm yet. In the other window bring up the item's auction page and hit reload every few seconds, watching the time remaining tick away. Do not confirm your bid in the first window until the time remaining in the second window is less than 30 seconds. The closer to zero seconds you hit that confirmation button the better, just keep in mind that when you click the button a few seconds will elapse so don't do it too late.

One of two things will happen. Either you will win the item because you got the last bid in, or you'll be outbid because someone either sneaked in just past you or placed an earlier bid for a higher amount. Either way you win, because if you don't get the item you at least get the satisfaction of knowing that whoever beat you is stuck paying more than you know the item is worth. icon_biggrin.gif

I had a real bad experience with E-bay and needless to say unless I am willing to loose the money I don't use it. I recently found myself in your position and after getting screwed on e-bay for a gps v I went to the phone book and started calling pawn shops and found a mag 315 for $60 after a little haggling. I would highly suggest this method just because I am very impatient and have a hard time sittin still waiting on the mail or ups. This way you have product in hand immediatly instead of having to trust that the seller will send the merchandise. If you do use E-bay I would strongly suggest an escrow service to protect yourself and ALWAYS pay with credit card. I used cashiers check and there is no insurance. Most credit card companies will insure your purchases.

copcar15.gif

I know people that will bid high at last minute on a friends item, so that it enrages other bidders enough to bid even higher, often paying more than retail. If no one overbids the friend, they just do a fake sale and try selling it on ebay again.

I've come to the conclusion ebay is fine if you really want something that's one of a kind and someone has it for a price you can afford. If it's a popular item you can get anywhere (like an Etrex), you'll be lucky to snag a great deal.

Never date a girl whose father calls her princess - chances are she beleives it.

PHGreer,

I was about to offer the same advice as Scooter, which is referred to as Sniping, by the way. The only thing early bidders do is raise the price for everyone else. Some people just don't "get it," like in all aspects of life.

But it seems like you're doing it right, so if other folks want to pay more than retail, there's not much you can do. I suggest watching the auctions very closely. I've gotten some deals on eBay, but they've been very few and far between.

What I do is look for an ill-conceived auction page. Someone who hasn't included any pictures and offer only a brief description of the item. These auctions attract far few bidders. I'll usually email the seller and ask any questions I have (since they've neglected to include much of the information on the product page) and then wait until the last second to make my bid.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't... but the times it has worked, I've saved some money.

Jamie