Guest Undecided

Hi there

I am fairly new to GPS and I am thinking of purchasing either an Emap

or a Vista/Legend.

At first I did a lot of research on the Vista/Legend option. I would

primarily be using the GPS for hiking/backpacking and tracing

waypoints and all those features that go with hiking etc. All the

features were there. All I had to do was figure out whether I wanted

to spring for the 8mb or 24mb memory between the two choices.

..then the choice of the eMap came up.

I like the bigger screen. It makes it more practical to use in a car.

This is cool if I travel around!

It has audible alarms

Extra memory can be added.

Its just as portable as the Vista/Legend

My questions to the board is (or for those that have used BOTH the

Emap and Legend/Vista):

Is an Emap just as good as the Legend/Vista for hiking purposes?

Is the resolution on the Emap not as good as the hiking-orientated

Legend/Vista?

I would like to hear arguments as to why I should get the emap over

the others or visa versa. I apologise if this topic has been

discussed before.

Thanks

Lawrence

Guest bob_renner

And don't forget the Garmin GPS76 and GPSMAP76. They're brand new. The complete specs aren't even available on the Garmin web site. Check out the other thread on this board about the GPSMAP76.

Bob

Guest mkral

Lawrence,

don't know if you already bought a unit, as this reply is pretty late, but FYI, the emap is not as sturdy of a unit for hiking. It is not waterproof, like the etrex's are, only splash proof, and it is not as solid. Check out the following link for info on the emap

http://joe.mehaffey.com/emaprevue.htm

Here is a snipet from the page "If you are looking for a full featured mapping GPS with ALL standard features for hiking,  boating, or flying use,  including being robust and waterproof,  you will want to look at  other models."

As it so happens, I am looking to unload my legend, if you're interested, check out the GPS garage sale forum.

Guest peter

quote:
Originally posted by Iron Chef:

My thought is that the Garmin eTrex series is easier to use in the car simply because you can very easily operate it with one hand while simultaniously driving ...

Depends on how you mount the unit in the car. The eTrex series requires access to the buttons on the sides whereas the eMap can be operated with only the buttons on the front once it's turned on. This makes it easier to mount the eMap in many cases.

The external antenna option is good for those cars with metallized windows and the expandable map memory makes it suitable for longer trips. The larger screen and audible alarm are also big advantages for both car and bicycle use.

As to the ruggedness issue, I did one unintentional test of my eMap before getting my bicycle mount system perfected. I hit a pothole at 20 mph and the eMap went flying over my head to a height of 6' before crashing onto the pavement and sliding. No damage beyond an insignificant scratch on the corner of the case. Seems pretty rugged to me.

It's also been mounted on my handlebars in a number of showers without any water intrusion - the only vulnerable spot is through the battery cover on the back of the unit.

Guest johnny42544

I purchased a new Vista for $275 and am happy with it. I went for it because the price was just $25 more than local WalMart wanted for the Legend. And I like the additional memory it has over the legend, although I have not purchased any additional maps yet. It wedges nicely on the dash of my truck, and with the rubber edges of the unit, it does not slip and slide around at all. Had I not gotten the deal I did on the Vista, the Legend would have been my choice. Now just where can I get a helluva deal on the map CD's?!?

If you are seriously thinking about the eMap you have to take a look at the GPSMAP 76. slightly larger case but you get WAAS support. You also get a more roboust unit that has better power options and can use all the same maps the eMap can. It only draw back is that it has only eight megs of memory. Take a look and down load the manual from Garmin's website. I think you will see the GPSMAP 76 is a far more flexible unit then the emap.

mcb