Mapsource Points of Interest CD

Guest teamhambone

Guest teamhambone

Does anyone with a Garmin Venture (or other unit) have any pros or cons on the POI CD. I have Street Atlas 7 which has limited Points of Interest and they are a little old. I know Mapsource POI was designed to work with theVenture's software. Is the $50 price tag giving me something better, that is useful? I know these are subjective questions, but if anyone has any thoughts one way or the other I'd like to hear them.

Thanks

Dusty

Guest topografix

I bought it a few weeks ago, on the impression that I could load 1MB of whatever features I wanted into my Legend. For example, every gas station on the East coast.

Wrong. You load features by region, not by feature type. So in addition to every gas station, I have every fitness center, italian restaurant, walmart, and lots of other junk I don't care about. And instead of the East coast, the 1MB got filled with just Boston and the north suburbs.

You have to be zoomed in to 200ft or so before you can see any of the POI detail on the GPS. That's not very useful if you just want to see what's around you as you drive.

My advice: get a demo from someone before you buy this software, so you know what you're getting.

------------------

Dan Foster

TopoGrafix: GPS Software, Waypoints, and Maps

http://www.topografix.com

Guest Choberiba

copy the points of interest from a very small area into my Venture.

I was hoping that this was because I was using different software than what was intended for this.

I'm able to get a small section of the Bay Area but not that much. The Vista would load these same maps and display the topo information.

You'd think the Points of Interest CD would be better than the topo CDs in this regard.

Guest Rubberhead

teamhambone,

I have the points of interest with an eTrex Mariner (basically a white Venturer).

It's fine, but like topografix pointed out, because the business listings are so dense, you can not load much into one meg of memory.

I use it mainly for the marine database, and I can get just about the entire east coast of marine data into one meg.

If I had to do it over again, I would still spend the $50 and get the POI database.