Garmin Cigarette Lighter Adapter

This is the second adapter I have used and both worked for about 3 weeks before the fuse blew. Once this happens and I replace the fuse it immediately blows again. Someone suggested that there was a short in the line, but don't understand how this could happen to 2 separate adapters and how they could work for 3 weeks before becoming a problem. I have tried the unit in several different cars with the same results. Is anyone else having the same problems? Is there a trick to changing the fuse properly? Confused with a blown fuse.

I have to pass this along......We took back a defective cord from a customer that was still under warranty. Figuring it was simply a blown fuse (it was), I took it home and dis-assembled it. Inside was a full-grown (but dead) Earwig (a crawling insect with pincers on it's tail, if you've never seen one) !! How it ever got there, I'll never figure out. The bug was huge, compared to any openings it had to get in there!

7871_200.jpg

I had the exact problem as you have experienced. Put new fuses in and they would keep blowing. i called garmin and they sent me a replacement adapters right away. when i got the replacement i took a good look at both of them. On the adapters there are 2 metal grounds on the sides that plug into the cigarette adapter. they are springy. i noticed that there was a piece of plastic that was broke (inside the adapter) that would allow one of the metal sides to move down and touch the ckt board. this would cause the fuse to blow because it would create a short. you can see if the same thing is happening to yours by just having the adapter open and try pressing IN the metal prongs on both sides(replacating the adapter inserted in the cigarette adapter). if one of the sides move down and touch the ckt board then there is your problem. call Garmin and they will ship you another one, no questions asked.

ratherBhiking

quote:
Originally posted by tonygpie:

...both worked for about 3 weeks before the fuse blew. Once this happens and I replace the fuse it immediately blows again...I have tried the unit in several different cars with the same results...

Assuming your replacement fuses were the correct type and amperage (the tag on my cord specifies 1.5 amps), the conditions you reported indicate you've received two defective cords that didn't "break" until they had been in use for a few weeks; ratherBhiking has provided one logical possibility.

quote:
...Is there a trick to changing the fuse properly? Confused with a blown fuse.

Replace the fuse by unscrewing the knurled fitting at the end of the adapter.

FWIW, I've owned two Garmin lighter/power cords for the GPS III+ and V and have never had a problem.

Worldtraveler