GPSr stats tracking, update notification

I wonder how many folks would be interested in seeing a way to log what GPSr unit(s) you have, and optionally (mayhaps a members-only feature) get notification when a new software update hits the street? Here was my original idea I posted in another thread, but thought I'd start a new one (and a poll):

It'd be nice of Geocaching.com let you store what GPSr unit(s) you own (for stats reasons, hehe), and when you first register your GPSr it could warn you about the default settings if they are not in decimal degrees, and give you a screen-shot step-by-step walk-through on how to change it. I know it sounds kinda lame, but some folks that are more tech-impared than others might find it useful (I know this screwed up my first geocaching experience, and I didn't try again for 6 months). I like the idea of tracking stats myself (hehe, can you see the Garmin vs. Magellan evangelists going at it?) ;-)'

There could also be a 'checkbox' for 'notification of software updates.' I check Garmin's site from time to time to see if my eTrex Legend has updates, but more often than not a software update with some cool new features or bug fixes has been out for 2-3 weeks before I notice it. If a geocacher spots that their model has a newer software version out, they could report it on the site (including the most direct link) and everyone who wanted to be notified would know within hours ;-)

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

The idea of having instructions specific to each unit out there sounds pretty good to me. You do see a lot of posts involving problems in this very area. The notification of updates also couldn't hurt, although I generally catch wind of them fairly quickly through the various forums I keep an eye on.

I'm not sure the idea would be easy to implement for the geocaching.com folks however. It would involve having access to the various receivers, writing up the instructions, and taking the time to check for updates on a regular basis, and of course dealing with all the complaints where it wasn't done the way "I would do it"

quote:
Originally posted by Searching_ut:

The idea of having instructions specific to each unit out there sounds pretty good to me. You do see a lot of posts involving problems in this very area. The notification of updates also couldn't hurt, although I generally catch wind of them fairly quickly through the various forums I keep an eye on.

I'm not sure the idea would be easy to implement for the geocaching.com folks however. It would involve having access to the various receivers, writing up the instructions, and taking the time to check for updates on a regular basis, and of course dealing with all the complaints where it wasn't done the way "I would do it"

My thought is that the Geocaching community would do all the work once the website allowed for it to be done. They owners of a specific model of GPSr could take the step-by-step photos and upload them. Anyone could also report an update of the software... the Geocaching folks wouldn't have to do anything once the base website code was written to handle it (perhaps have a few "veteran" Geocachers police/moderate it).

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

Flipping this coin, would we expect novices to read the manual on-line if they're not going to read the one that came boxed with the unit? A great many problems posted here can be taken care of in there(rtm).

Manuals sometimes contain pictures and diagrams, too. They're a lot like a photos, aren't they?

Finally, if people care about upgrades, they'll do what I and others do--check on occasion to see if there is an upgrade on the GPSr's relevant website.

don

quote:
Originally posted by Cachetrotters:

Flipping this coin, would we expect novices to read the manual on-line if they're not going to read the one that came boxed with the unit? A great many problems posted _here_ can be taken care of _in there_(rtm).

Manuals sometimes contain pictures and diagrams, too. They're a lot like a photos, aren't they?

Finally, if people care about upgrades, they'll do what I and others do--check on occasion to see if there is an upgrade on the GPSr's relevant website.

don

I did read the manual. I do consider myself fairly technical, but I'd not used maps or compasses beyond simply being able to tell which way I was heading and a simple street atlas, etc. The problem with the manual is that it gives you too much information about too many things you don't care about (at least to start with).

I'd no idea about the various formats that a LAT/LON coordinate could come in. Actually, I did notice that there were two formats that MapQuest and other sites and programs use: DMS and decimal degrees. The biggest problem is that decimal minutes looks a lot like DMS at first:

N 38° 02.050 W 120° 24.050

If I'm new to using a GPSr, and my default format is DMS, I'm going to imput it as:

N D:38 M:2 S:50

W D:120 M:24 S:50

Yeah, many caches won't fit the DMS format if you follow this logic... then there is the further confusing "or convert to NAD27 at Jeeep.com" link which just throws a ton of numbers at you. Much better to put a link like "How to set your GPSr to use this format", IMHO

What's worst, is that entering the coordinates like this will get you to the general area (like a park), and then you're searching in vain.

Just my two cents. I've heard from a number of folks who started Geocaching on their own (meaning that they didn't have a friend showing it to them to help), and ran into this same problem. For me, it wrecked my first 'cache and delayed me trying again for 6 months.

I even read up a lot at the Geocaching site, and even the Guide to Finding a Cache or Geocaching FAQ doesn't mention making sure your GPSr is in the proper decimal degrees mode before you try and enter LAT/LON coordinates. Perhaps these would be good places to have that info.

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net