emap and Mapsource updates

Guest jbwcpa

Guest jbwcpa

I've had my eMap w/Metroguide for just over a month. I've noticed that the basemap has roads and exits that have been changed or don't exist anymore. The Metroguide's points of interest are outdated and is missing many newer streets or street names have been changed. How often does Garmin update the acutal maps? I have downloaded version 4.03 for Metroguide and version 2.71 for eMap.

Guest wasmith

I agree. The date on my MapSource CD is 1999, version 3.02, and many of the roads in the area I live have been shifted, or lanes added, or even some new roads added (such as in new subdivisions, etc.)

I checked the Garmin site and details are not provided as to the revision date of the current MapSource MetroGuide U.S.A. CD ROM.

I have sent a request for update information to Garmin. If I get an answer I will share it.

Guest PneumaticDeath

I've found the proper way to update the mapsource software itself, but I haven't found a place to download updated or corrected map data. Is there such a place? (I have the US Roads & Rec CD.)

Thanks,

-- Mitch

Guest jbwcpa

From what Garmin has told me, the emap basemap cannot be upgraded because its hardwired. To update the Metroguide maps, you have to get the new version 4 Metroguide CD's.

Guest sbukosky

Would someone clarify the mapping for me? I understand that the maps in the Emap are there and cannot be modified. But does uploading MetroGuide correct or update changes in the basemap? For example, the county has switched highway 164 and J so now the basemap is in error. Asuming the current Metroguide is correct, does that correct it in the emap as long as the software is loaded?

Steve Bukosky

Waukesha Wisconsin

Guest sbukosky

Just got my serial cable, power cord and active antenna today. Wow! What a difference. In the open the antenna just about maxes out all the satelites and I even kept getting a good signal while under the drive through canopy at the bank! I updated the 2.04 version software to the current 2.73 and what a difference it made. Much more sensitive to movement. I think I really got something now!

quote:
Originally posted by sbukosky:

For example, the county has switched highway 164 and J so now the basemap is in error. Asuming the current Metroguide is correct, does that correct it in the emap as long as the software is loaded?

The basemap will always be present, but you won't see it except when you zoom way out if you have the MG maps loaded. With the 'Detail' set to Normal, the basemap only appears at scales of 5 miles and higher and the MG maps with more detail and accuracy will appear at scales below that. The division between basemap and MG will depend on the 'Detail' setting with the basemap appearing on scales of 0.8 miles and greater with it set to 'Least' and only at scales of 20 miles and greater with it set to 'Most'.

Glad to hear you like your eMap better now with the firmware upgrade and optional antenna. I think the eMap has been the most improved unit over time with firmware changes.