GPSBABEL and Waypoints into Garmin Mapsource

HartClimbs

I've been experimenting with using GPSBABEL to convert .gpx files to .wpt files (in PCX5 format) to import waypoints into Garmin Mapsource.

I'm close but must be missing something since the waypoint symbols aren't being carried into the .wpt file. I'm trying to have the waypoints come in with either "GEOCACHE" or "GEOCACHE FOUND" symbols.

The only way I've gotten this to work is (1. Use EASYGPS to load the waypoints into my GPS 2. Download the waypoints from my GPS to Mapsource). I'm under the impression GPSBABEL is supposed to make this simpler (ie. just convert the .gpx file to an importable file for Mapsource) but I figured I'd post a quick ?.

Any thoughts, insight, suggestions welcome! I looked at G72WIN as well but it doesn't look like it accepts .gpx files (so I'm trying to get GPSBABEL setup). I'm probably trying to drive nails with a screwdriver - so let me know if there's an easier method for taking .gpx files (from pocketqueries) and getting the waypoint information into Garmin Mapsource?

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by HartClimbs:

I've been experimenting with using GPSBABEL to convert .gpx files to .wpt files (in PCX5 format) to import waypoints into Garmin Mapsource.

You do know that GPSBabel can write 'real' Mapsource .mps files now, right? That'll get you longer waypoint names and waypoint comments. Refining the icon mappings for the eternally changing Mapsource file format is one of the last things left for the next GPSBabel release.

quote:

I'm trying to have the waypoints come in with either "GEOCACHE" or "GEOCACHE FOUND" symbols.

Just a few days ago (Feb 20) I added some code to the PCX output module that lets you pick a default icon and lets GPSBabel pick smart icons for cache type. That'll be in the next version and it's there now if you're building from source.

If your input file has no cache description information, you can use the new 'deficon' qualifier like "gpsbabel ... -o pcx,deficon="geocache found" -F ..."

If the input file DOES have cache information (i.e. it's a GPX file with Groundspeak extensions such as the ones that come from the pocket queries here) the deficon will only be used for the waypoints that are of cache types that we can't generate "smart" icons for.

I'm currently accepting nominations for icons for Virtual, Micros, and Multis...

quote:
but I figured I'd post a quick ?.

Generally GPSBabel questions are better asked on the mailing lists dedicated to it.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the helpful response (and good tip on the usenet lists as well).

I'll eagerly await the next windows version - sounds like it's got exactly what I need. I still think I'm probably missing something since I'm just trying to import waypoints into Mapsource (so I can view the maps with the waypoints displayed on my laptop). I've been using EASYGPS to drop the waypoints into the GPS from the .gpx files.

As I said, probably trying to drive nails with a screwdriver. Thanks again!