magellan 310 update?

My magellan 310 shows the second coordinates with 2 numbers.. that is not to precize..

Is there an update out there that makes it show 3 numbers for the seconds??

I'm kind of a newbie geocacher and like to keep my magellan 310 for a while.. But also i want to have the 3th number in the seconds..

when it is not possible i will consider buying a new unit.. maybe with mapping..

Greetings

Don't mather how far you get from home, you will always get back there to get out again

quote:
My magellan 310 shows the second coordinates with 2 numbers.. that is not to precize.. Is there an update out there that makes it show 3 numbers for the seconds??

The hardware doesn't support it; the LCD screen has segments for only so many numbers. There are a couple of possible solutions:

Attach the GPS unit to a Palm. The NMEA output has the full precision.

Use UTM only. It has 1-meter precision.

Neither of these is ideal. That's why I just upgraded to a Sportrak Pro. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
My magellan 310 shows the second coordinates with 2 numbers.. that is not to precize.. Is there an update out there that makes it show 3 numbers for the seconds??

The hardware doesn't support it; the LCD screen has segments for only so many numbers. There are a couple of possible solutions:

Attach the GPS unit to a Palm. The NMEA output has the full precision.

Use UTM only. It has 1-meter precision.

Neither of these is ideal. That's why I just upgraded to a Sportrak Pro. icon_biggrin.gif

I started with a Magellan 310 and then moved on to a GlobalMap100. The GM100 is more accurate (it has one more digit place) but the 310 is so light and only uses two AA batteries, I still use it alot. Plus the 310 locks in pretty quickly and stays locked under tree cover where the GM100 loses lock and has to re-aquire. I believe that Magellan got it right with the 310. It's a great little unit and has the basics that work well for geocaching (if you round up or down). The GM100 has a ton of neat features. I use the map features and the cursor trail quite a bit. I am heading out to Estes Park soon and I can't wait to give it a real baptisim in Rocky Mountain National (if it's still there). I was going to sell the 310, but I'm having touble parting with it. Since I live on the plains of Kansas, I figure that both units have an equal chance for sat lock. -Sorry I blab so much-