Mapsend vs Mapsource

MapSource Topo seems to be a straightforward vector-based presentation of the USGS 1:100,000 topo maps. Roads are included only if they are on the USGS topo maps which are very dated in some cases. Accuracy of the contour lines and placement of features appears to be quite good.

MapSend Topo uses a digital model of the terrain elevation and is able to compress more area into a given memory size than MapSource Topo. MapSend also includes more recent streets from the TIGER Census Bureau database (not the most accurate but more up to date than the USGS 1:100000 maps). OTOH, the digital terrain model can lead to some false artifacts such as contour lines that cross the same river at multiple places, contour lines that cross lakes, etc.

Neither is nearly as good as the USGS 1:24000 maps generally used by hikers - take your pick as to which one you prefer.

Night Stalker....I am hoping you are the one I talked to in the store (Sportsman's) on Sat. After talking to you, I decided to ask our Magellan rep. for a store copy of the MapSend Topo. so I can load it and learn it as well as I know the Garmin version. You will probably get your answers here before I get my copy, but stay in touch and let me know if I can help you any more in any way. Mark

7871_200.jpg

quote:
It would seem that MapSend is the most accurate mapping software. However I was under the impression that MapSoure was the only software that you could download into any Garmin eTrex models.

ratherBhiking

I don't know if MapSend is the most accurate. However they are proprietary. MapSorce is the only software, I know of, that can load maps to Garmin. MapSend is the only software that can load maps to Magellan.

There are many programs that can upload and download tracks and waypoints.

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by ratherBhiking:

Peter,

In reference to your posting. It would seem that MapSend is the most accurate mapping software. However I was under the impression that MapSoure was the only software that you could download into any Garmin eTrex models.

Both are proprietary formats and only download to their respective model of GPS rcvrs.; i.e. MapSend to Magellans and MapSource to Garmins.

In terms of accuracy of the topographic data I would have to give the nod to Garmin's MapSource Topo. The digital compression used by Magellan's MapSend results in distorted contour lines in the maps I've seen - rivers only flow downhill and a given level contour line should only cross a river once; not multiple times as happens in some MapSend Topo maps.

But adding in the TIGER road updates is useful and MapSend is more memory efficient.

Neither product is detailed or accurate if you're used to the 1:24000 scale quads from the USGS that are commonly used for hiking.