Sportrak Map Software Update

This is for anyone who has a Magellan Sportrak Map.

I was clicking around Magellan web site and found that they have a new update for the Sportrak Map.

The version is 4.06

When I got my Sportrak back from Magellan a couple of weeks ago it came with 4.04 installed. I went to their web site to get a backup copy and they still had 4.03 listed as the newest update. That has change since I last looked a week ago.

I am not sure what has changed and if I should install it quite yet. I have found with another toy that I have, that new updates tend to have growing pains for a little while. My Sportrak is working fine and I am not sure that I want to risk it when I have just got it back form being serviced.

If anyone has info on this new update let me know.

Thanks

Dennis

Magellan's web site is a substantial time warp away from their repair group and even what you can get from their tech support dept if you ask nicely. It's strangely common for them to list version X on their web site, ship X+1 in support and X+2 on RMA units returned from repair. (It's particularly odd when you're holding a unit with a version number that support denies even exists...)

From what I've seen in the yahoo groups, the "growing pains" of the new versions are almost universally attributable to pilot error during the upgrade. Only in a few cases does someone actually get burned but the workarounds are quickly discovered. For example, once it was found that people that had maps that took up 100% of map space in version Y were hosed when they went to a version that used omre space for code suddenly found their units crashing. Solution? Regenerate the detail maps. Peek in on the various Magellan yahoo groups for a mixture of real world anecdotes and folklore. (Discerning them is, of course, the challenge.)

As for what changed, Magellan does publish a list of changes. Ultimately, the risk/payoff decision is yours.

Upgrading my STMap is on my TODO list for this weekend, but I don't see anything there that's just earth-shattering to me.