Magellan GPS Companion for Handspring Visor

Is there any way to get EasyGPS to work with a Handspring Visor with a Magellan GPS Companion?

Sorry if this question has been asked a thousand times, but I didn't find any reference to this in any FAQ or on EasyGPS.com

Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Gusdog3:

Is there any way to get EasyGPS to work with a Handspring Visor with a Magellan GPS Companion?

That depends on what you're wanting to do with it. If you export the points from EasyGPS as GPX files, you can use GPSBabel to translate them into formats that will work with various PalmOS software. Be warned, though, that getting it to work with NAV Companion will require you to jump through some hoops that you can't jump through with the graphical frontend; you might have to use a command prompt. Read the README.magnav file that comes with GPSBabel for the gory details.

warm.gif

I have the Nav Companion for the m500 series. Here's what I did:

I use GPS Babel to convert the gpx file to a Nav Companion file.

The output file is named: Companion_Waypoints.PDB

Then I dbl click on the PDB file to add it to the HotSync Install Tool and sync the Palm.

As the readme says, any waypoints in the NAV Companion database on the Palm will be overwritten, but in my case, I don't care since all I'm doing is sending waypoints from GC.com to the Palm. If you set any waypoints in the Palm, the you will have to do a lot more work as outlined in the readme. This should work with the HandSpring also, since the software is the same. I did notice that the NAV Companion software locks up if you send it over 256 waypoints causing me to have to reset the Palm.

quote:
Originally posted by smithdw:

I did notice that the NAV Companion software locks up if you send it over 256 waypoints causing me to have to reset the Palm.

Ooh, I didn't know that. I'll try to remember to add that to the readme (and if there's anything else in the readme that's not clear, tell me, since I wrote the readme. icon_smile.gif )

warm.gif

I'm not sure of the exact number, but I loaded 340 waypoints the first time I tried it. While scrolling though the list on the Palm, it errored out and a window said to reset the Palm. I tried it with about 235 waypoints the next time and it's working great. I am assuming that it will hold 255 or 256 waypoints, since that is the largest number in an 8-bit binary number. More than likely, that's what Magellan used for an index to the waypoint info internally. It kinda sucks, since I really wanted to load all the waypoints for the 100 mile radius around my house which is up to 615 right now. That way, I would have all the info so I don't place another cache too close to one that is already there among other things.

Apparently we accidentally left the readme files out of the Windows distribution. If you look at my followup to your other post, you'll find the link to the nav companion readme file.

By the way, It's pointless to ask the same question three times in three different threads. If anyone's going to answer it, they'll see it just as well in one place as in three.